Featured Post

Brilliant Gluten Free Coconut Macaroons, GF, Sugarfree option

I love the sweet chewiness of a coconut macaroon but the sugar content in the commercial products was always too much for my tastes. Until I made these...They are divine and healthy! And guess what? they are super easy to make gluten free!

How to make your own Gluten Free Flour!!




Gluten-free Flour Formulas! 
If you are just beginning in this very confusing world of cooking gluten-free you will have lots of hits and misses until you find what you like, and what works for you.  Personally, I used the Original formula by Bette Hagman until I learned how to use each flour for different textures.  Now I use several variations depending on what I'm cooking.
Something to remember, darlings, you can't just throw a few different flours together in a recipe or it will fail!  Plus, many of the best cooks use weight instead of cups for the perfect result- so if you use a heavy bean flour or almond flour in place of a lightweight flour it will end up too dense.

I like bean flours because they have lots of protein and I use them in many different recipes, but they don't work for everything and I'm still learning too!

There are so many wonderful flour options and not just what is listed below.
I have learned so many tricks and tips from reading all the blogs and checking out cookbooks from the library so that I could learn what works for each type of recipe.

When I first started baking gluten-free I bombed a lot!   I only used white rice flour and tapioca starch (that I bought from my Asian grocery store) and then I bought Bob's Redmill Brown Rice flour and xanthan gum from Amazon, and it worked fine for some things, but other's were terrible!  Hopefully, this info will help you avoid too many disasters, but I think looking back now it was part of the fun. 

Best wishes and Happy Baking!

This recipe is like Better Batter.  I haven't tried it yet but I will be testing it on my recipes as soon as I get the pectin

Ingredients

160 grams superfine white rice flour
160 grams superfine brown rice flour
 80 grams tapioca starch/flour
 80 grams potato starch
 20 grams potato flour
 18 grams xanthan gum
 8 grams pure powdered pectin
Instructions
  1. Place all ingredients in a large bowl, and whisk to combine well. The pectin should be usedwithout the calcium packet.
  2. Store in an airtight container at room temperature until ready to use.
  3. The recipe can be halved or used in multiples easily. Just be sure to whisk fully in a large enough container.

and another good one 

Multi Blend Gluten-Free Flour (Wendy Warks Gluten-Free Flour Mix)
1 cup brown rice flour (requires refrigeration)
1¼ cup white rice flour

¼ cup potato starch flour
2/3 cup tapioca starch flour
¾ cup sweet rice flour
1/3 cup cornstarch
2 teaspoons xanthan or guar gum I often use only brown rice flour in the mix as it is healthier and better tasting. I buy at least 5 pounds every time I order (from manufacturers that sell a lot of brown rice flour). I keep it refrigerated and highly recommend it over white rice flour. This flour mix is the basis of many of my sweets, breadsticks, tortillas, waffles etc. I also like to use pure buckwheat, amaranth, and quinoa flour to increase the flavor and healthfulness of certain items. It is important to buy these alternative flours from pure, gluten-free sources. Pure in the sense that they are grown in fields that are not adjacent to wheat fields and that they are processed in a 100% gluten-free environment from the field to your table.
Triple this flour mix recipe and keep it on hand for all of your baking needs. Once you have the flour mix together you are ready for about a months worth of gluten-free baking.

 here's another variation

Multi Blend Gluten-Free Flour

2 1/4 cup brown rice flour
1/4 cup potato starch flour
2/3 cup tapioca starch flour
3/4 cup sweet rice flour
1/3 cup cornstarch



Bob’s Red Mill is a great source of gluten free flours.

This is my go to recipe!


Jeanne’s Gluten-Free All-Purpose Flour Mix is my favorite and it works for many baked goods, including bread.

Note, when making bread you will need additional xanthan

1 1/4 C (170 g) brown rice flour
1 1/4 C (205 g) white rice flour
1 C (120 g) tapioca flour
1 C (165 g) sweet rice flour
2 tsp. xanthan gum



You can see that there are alot of choices, but choose what works for your allergies and budget.  I have heard Namaste's All purpose is very good.  I like the savings when I mix my own

Or simple works too!

Try one of these



General Baking Mix #1
Carol Fenster, cookbook author
makes 2 cups 1 cup rice flour
1/2-3/4 cup potato starch
¼ cup tapioca starch/flour
General Baking Mix #2
Carol Fenster
makes 9 cups 3 cups garfava bean flour
2 cups potato starch
2 cups cornstarch
1 cup tapioca flour
1 cup sorghum flour
Original formula
Bette Hagman, cookbook author
makes 3 cups 2 cups rice flour
2/3 cup potato starch
1/3 cup tapioca starch/flour
Four Flour Bean
Bette Hagman
also used by Authentic Foods
makes 3 cups 2/3 cup garfava bean flour
1/3 cup sorghum flour
1 cup cornstarch
1 cup tapioca starch/flour
Featherlight
Bette Hagman
makes 3 cups 1 cup white rice flour
1 cup cornstarch
1 cup tapioca starch/flour
1 Tbsp. potato flour
Specialty Mixes



Cookie mix
Mary Schluckebier
makes 2 cups ¼ cup chickpea flour
1¾ cup sorghum flour
¼ cup sweet rice flour



Comments