Gluten Free Bread pudding is super easy and cleans up all of those bread ends and baking disasters for me. You can throw anything into a bread pudding. Stale Gluten Free cake, (Ok, we don't let cake get stale very often, but if you do then throw it in.) Doughnuts, quick breads, muffins or sandwich bread. I love mine with dried blueberries that I soak in a little rum to rehydrate. Or you can soak them overnight in a cup of water.
This post linked to Gluten Free Wednesdays
Skinny Gluten Free Bread Pudding with Lemon Sauce
- 6 slices Gluten Free thick whole grain day-old bread, cubed ( You can use stale cake,quick bread or muffins too) or apx 3 cups.
- 1/2 cup dried blueberries, raisins or cranberries-opt
- 2 1/2 cups milk, (or try for dairy free, coconut milk or almond milk)
- 1/2 cup blonde coconut palm sugar or 1 cup Stevia Baking Blend
- 4 large eggs-beaten
- 1 teaspoon gluten free pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon-opt
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- for the sauce-
- 3/4 cup blonde coconut palm sugar or 1/2 cup honey (try Erythriol for a sugar free option)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup water
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
Directions Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Lay your cubed bread and fruit out evenly in a 2-qt. baking dish sprayed with cooking oil.
- Whisk the eggs in a small bowl. Add milk, sugars, vanilla and lemon juice. Pour over bread and raisins. Press the bread gently down. Let soak while the oven heats
- Place your baking dish onto a larger cookie sheet or broiler pan in the oven. Fill the bottom pan with water about 1/2 way up the smaller baking dish.
- Bake, uncovered, in preheated oven for apx 45 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out mostly clean and it springs back when you touch it.
- For sauce, combine the sugar and cornstarch in a saucepan. Stir in water until smooth; bring to a boil over medium heat. Boil for 1-2 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat; stir in lemon juice, peel and butter until butter melts. Serve over warm or cold pudding. Refrigerate any leftovers.
- Note- white rice Gluten Free bread will dissolve so use a bread that has other grains in it for best results! leftover banana bread works too!
- 6/20 Update- I made this in the crockpot today and it was great!! Just put your bread in the crockpot bowl, no grease necessary, pour the egg mixture over the bread, cover and turn on high for apx 1 1/2 hours or until a knife comes out clean.
- I usually serve this with a low cal frozen yogurt instead of the sauce. Enjoy!!