Linked so you can visit these great blog hops- Amy's Slightly Indulgent Tuesday
Janelle and the gang's Allergy-Free Wednesdays
and Linda's Gluten Free Wednesdays to see this and lots of great recipes! Thanks Linda for Featuring my Kebobs from last week!! big hugs!!
- 4 big slices of ripe seedless watermelon, about 1 1/2 inches thick. Leave the rind on for grilling
- 2- 3 lbs of boneless skinless Chicken Thighs- rubbed with Spice Rub (see recipe below or any good spice rub of your choice)
- 1 tablespoon honey-opt (for the watermelon)
- 1 medium red onion, cut into thin strips or 3 scallions, sliced
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1 1/2 cups pitted Kalamata olives, cut in half
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar or red wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 bag of fresh spinach, stemmed, washed and dried
- 1 to 2 tablespoon finely chopped basil leaves, for garnish
- 1 to 2 tablespoon finely chopped mint leaves, for garnish
- Season your chicken thighs with spice rub in a large bowl, cover with plastic wrap and place in fridge for about an hour or two to marinate.
- Heat a gas grill to medium. If using a charcoal grill, start the charcoal; when the briquettes are ready, distribute them evenly. Be sure to oil your grate first.
- Brush a little honey or olive oil on the watermelon slices and grill 2 minutes with the lid up, then turn over and grill for 2 minutes, until just grill marked. Chill while you make the salad marinate.
- Combine the onion, feta cheese and olives in a large bowl.
- Cut the chilled watermelon into cubes (discarding the rind), then add to the large bowl, tossing lightly to combine.
- Whisk together the oil and vinegar in a small bowl; add the salt and pepper. Pour the vinaigrette over the ingredients in the large bowl, tossing to combine. Cover and refrigerate
- Place your chicken on the lower rack, grill for apx 15 minutes, careful not to burn or until juices run clear. If it's burning, move to the upper rack and close the lid. Remove to a platter and let it sit for a few minutes
- To serve, divide the spinach among individual plates. Slice the chicken and place on the spinach. Spoon the watermelon mixture over the spinach, reserving some of the vinaigrette to drizzle on top.
- Sprinkle basil and mint to taste on each salad and serve immediately.
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons olive oil oil
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper