Featured Post

Brilliant Gluten Free Coconut Macaroons, GF, Sugarfree option

I love the sweet chewiness of a coconut macaroon but the sugar content in the commercial products was always too much for my tastes. Until I made these...They are divine and healthy! And guess what? they are super easy to make gluten free!

Gluten Free Traditional Irish Soda Bread, GF, DF, SF


For years I have been making traditional Irish soda bread, not the sweet bread with caraway seeds and dates or raisins, but the original type that is a simple loaf made with flour, buttermilk, baking soda and salt. It is so quick and easy that I made it a few times a week, then stopped when I went gluten-free. I've been wanting to try to recreate a gluten and dairy-free version and thanks to some suggestions from members at the Society for the Preservation of Irish Soda Bread Facebook group, I was able to make an incredible loaf that doesn't taste gluten or dairy-free. 

Irish Soda Bread
Dry Ingredients:

2 cups gf oat flour (you can also use buckwheat, sorghum or millet)
1 cup garbanzo bean flour
½ cup tapioca flour
½ cup potato starch
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp xanthan gum
Wet Ingredients:

1 cup unsweetened almond milk
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar or lemon juice
2 eggs
4 tablespoons olive oil

Instructions:
  1. Combine almond milk with apple cider vinegar and set aside. 
  2. Blend dry ingredients, then add wet ingredients, mix until combined (don't knead), place in a Dutch oven, cut a cross on top of dough, and bake at 375 for 30 minutes with lid on, then remove lid and bake for an additional 15 minutes.

Comments

  1. Can I replace xanthum gum with egg whites or chia seeds?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nicole Michelle, I would suggest psyllium husks but ground chia might work. When I need to substitute xanthan gum, my best results are with psyllium or guar gum. I would be interested to hear how it comes out with chia if you use it. Thanks!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hi! Thanks for stopping by!
Thank you so much for your comments and questions. I respond as fast as I can, so please be sure to check back for your answer. By leaving a comment you are consenting to your email being collected for communication purposes only. Blessings, Ali