Featured Post

Brilliant Gluten Free Coconut Macaroons, GF, Sugarfree option

I love the sweet chewiness of a coconut macaroon but the sugar content in the commercial products was always too much for my tastes. Until I made these...They are divine and healthy! And guess what? they are super easy to make gluten free!

Simply Gluten Free Oatmeal Cookies, DF, GF


I adore cookies and have stacks of recipes and cookbooks that I was organizing, when I saw this old recipe  and decided to make it up again. I found this recipe years ago in one of my antique church cookbooks from the 50's.  I had to laugh when I looked back today at my other Oatmeal chocolate chip cookie recipe from last year. 
It's very similar! I've reworked this recipe so many times that I forgot all about the original.  It's a great recipe that's made with just a few economical ingredients that I always keep on hand.  I reduced the sugar and fat from the original and now this recipe is simply perfect!  So here's my Skinny version of a classic and scrumptious cookie that will thrill your family.   

You get the most amazing flavor when you spread the oats and nuts in a single layer and toast until lightly brown. You can leave out the xanthan gum but you will have a fragile cookie.  Let them cool completely on a rack and I promise you, they are worth the wait. 


Ingredients:
  • 2 1/4 cups Bob's Redmill gluten free rolled oats
  • 1 teaspoon gluten free baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon McCormick's ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup non-hydrogenated gluten free butter substitute like Smart Balance or Earth Balance
  • 1/2 cup Pyure Stevia Baking Blend
  • 1/3 cup coconut palm sugar  (or brown sugar)
  • 1 tablespoon molasses
  • 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum-opt  (or try 1 teaspoon of flax meal)
  • 2 large eggs
  • 2 teaspoons pure vanilla
  • 1/2 cup raisins
  • 1 cup walnuts, chopped   

Instructions:

 Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.  Grease or spray your cookie sheet

  1. 1. Spread the oats and nuts out in a single layer on a large baking sheet until lightly toasted, about 10 minutes. Remove from the oven an cool for 5 minutes
  2. In a blender or food processor grind 1 3/4 cups of the oats into flour, leaving 1/2 cup whole to add in later
  3. Add the baking powder, cinnamon, xanthan gum and salt to the flour and pulse to combine.
  4. In the large bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, combine the butter substitute and sugars until light and creamy.   Scrape down the sides and mix again 
  5. On low speed add the eggs, vanilla and molasses until well blended.  Slowly add the flour mixture until incorporated and then add the whole oats, nuts and raisins.  
  6. Spoon heaping teaspoons onto the greased cookie sheet.  Bake for apx 13 minutes or until just firm to the touch and light brown.  Enjoy!

Comments