Featured Post

Brilliant Gluten Free Coconut Macaroons, GF, Sugarfree option

I love the sweet chewiness of a coconut macaroon but the sugar content in the commercial products was always too much for my tastes. Until I made these...They are divine and healthy! And guess what? they are super easy to make gluten free!

Skinny GF Orange, Beet and Avocado Salad

Photo courtesy of Cafe Sucre Farine

We had a great day at the beach yesterday, watching the children play, listening to crashing waves, picking up sea shells,  and just relaxing in our little bit of heaven.  I love the smell of the ocean, the warm breezes, suntan oil, and burgers.  Wendy's is right across the street from the beach.  lol!!  and the smell was making us hungry so my honey volunteered to go get lunch.   He worked so hard to do everything right and even asked them to clean the grill!!  and  he's getting pretty good at explaining cross contamination but then they threw a piece of American Cheese on top.  He looked so sad when I gasped in dismay....most American Cheese has gluten in it, but it smelled so good and he tried so hard that I had to have a tiny bite.  Stupid!! Today I'm miserable and bloated but I'll survive.  I took my probiotics and they do help!  I buy mine at CVS and take one every morning now.  
I've made this wonderful healthy salad before and it's so yummy!!  I think it will make my poor tummy feel better and I won't do that again.  Getting accidently glutened is bad enough but intentionally glutening yourself is silly... So moral of the story... if you give in and do something stupid or know someone that is having a hard time with temptation, it's just part of the journey.  Sooner or later we all learn that "it is what it is" and the greatest lesson of all is to be happy and thankful for what we have and not need anything else.  Not even a burger from Wendy's...much love and hugs,  Ali



Inspired by Cafe Sucre Farine.  See original recipe here Cafe Sucre Farine

Ingredients for the dressing:
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup white balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup fresh squeezed orange juice
1 teaspoon GF dijon mustard or more to taste
1-2 tablespoons honey
salt and pepper to taste
Directions for the dressing,
1. Combine ingredients in a jar or I use my mini food processor and pulse until well mixed.
Ingredients for the salad:
1 bunch beets, scrub, trim ends, and roast in oven, see directions below.  Cool, rub skins off and chop
2 oranges,peeled and cut into segments or 2 cans of  Mandarin oranges, drained 
1 large avocado, peeled, cored and diced
1/3 cup GF blue cheese, crumbled
1/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted in oven with beets just until slightly brown.  Watch closely
4-6 cups baby spinach, and mixed spring greens washed and dried
Roast washed and trimmed beets wrapped in foil at  400 for 45 minutes or until tender.  Assemble salad and toss with dressing!!  Enjoy!!

Comments