Awesome Gluten Free Clam Chowder
Makes 4 large servings
1/2 pound GF bacon or turkey bacon, chopped
1 onion, diced
1 clove of garlic, minced-opt
3 stalks of celery, diced
5 medium red potatoes, washed and diced (or 3 russet)
3 cans chopped clams in clam juice
4 cups of 2 % milk
1 tablespoon butter
Salt and pepper to taste
2 teaspoons GF seasoning salt or Old Bay
fresh parsley stems removed and chopped
4 tablespoons cornstarch
- Chop the bacon and fry slowly until crisp in a large heavy pot or for lower calorie, use turkey bacon fried with a little olive oil
- Remove from pan and drain on paper towels
- Drain most of the grease from the pot- Reserve a little of the grease in the pan.
- Add diced potatoes, onion and celery and saute until tender.
- Add the garlic to the pan. Saute on low for 2 min or so
- Add the juice from 3 cans of chopped clams to the pot while scraping up the bits, (Reserve clams for later)
- Add a little water, if needed, to barely cover the potatoes and cook for 6-8 min or until almost tender.
- Now add the milk, butter, parsley, clams, bacon and seasonings.
- Stir the cornstarch in a small bowl with little more milk until smooth.
- Add cornstarch mixture to your simmering soup,stirring until no lumps appear and the soup thickens. You can add more depending on how thick you like your chowder.
- Simmer until the flavors come together and the potatoes finish cooking