Featured Post

Brilliant Gluten Free Coconut Macaroons, GF, Sugarfree option

I love the sweet chewiness of a coconut macaroon but the sugar content in the commercial products was always too much for my tastes. Until I made these...They are divine and healthy! And guess what? they are super easy to make gluten free!

The Best Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Flax Cookie,low carb, low glycemic

Saturday morning, a good book, flannel jammies, a latte and a crisp, chewy, to die for, low carb, low glycemic, pack full of Omega 3's, Chocolate chip oatmeal cookie.  Now that's pretty close to Nirvana.......:)


Skinny Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Flax Cookie-high protein, low carb, low glycemic, full of vitamins, antioxidants and Omega 3's!

Linked to Allergy Free WednesdayFull Plate Thursday, Slightly Indulgent Tuesday,

Recipe makes- 2 dozen cookies

Ingredients:

  • 1 1/2 cups almond meal flour, or grind nuts to flour, sift and regrind
  • 3/4 cup flaxseed meal
  • 1 teaspoon of baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon of salt
  • 1 cup baking Stevia blend, like Truvia
  • 1 cup Gluten Free oatmeal
  • 1/2 cup GF oatmeal flour  ( I grind my almonds, flax and oatmeal in the coffee grinder until just fluffy)
  • 1 tablespoon psyllium husk or 1 teaspoon xanthan gum  - see note below
  • 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
  • 1/2 cup slightly melted coconut oil
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 3 tablespoons sugarless applesauce
  • 1 Tablespoon + 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract (yes this is correct!)
  • 1 cup GF chocolate chips regular, sugar free or vegan
  • 1/2 cup coconut
  • 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped


Instructions:

1. Combine dry ingredients in large mixing bowl.
2. Combine liquid ingredients in medium mixing bowl.
3. Pour liquid ingredients into dry ingredients mixing bowl.  Using your hands (I wear plastic gloves) work    the wet ingredients into the dry very well - add chocolate chips, coconut and nuts and mix again
4. Chill mixture in refrigerator for 15-20 minutes.
5. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
6. Scoop rounded teaspoons or use a small cookie scoop of mixture onto baking baking sheet
7. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until browned and just firm.  Don't overbake.

Cool and store in the fridge and be happy!    Namaste

Note-  I started using psyllium husk awhile ago to put more fiber in my baking.  Now I've found out that you can replace the xanthan gum in gluten free baked goods with it!

Comments

  1. might have to try this one. By the way, the blog is looking great :)
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amanda, if you don't need to do gluten free you can use regular oatmeal. Flax is very affordable and you can find the seeds in most grocery or health foods stores. I put some in my cereal and smoothies too. Tons of great health benefits. Just make sure it's fresh and has a nice nutty smell. Let me know how you like them! hugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wishing you and your family a very Happy and Blessed Thanksgiving. Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and hope to see you soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Miz Helen, you are so sweet. I will definitely be back to visit you again soon. Happy Thanksgiving!! xx hugs, Ali

    ReplyDelete
  5. Neato tip about psyllium!!! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Adrienne, I tried it in my pie crusts today so I'll let you know if it works when I bake them tomorrow. Crossing my fingers! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. The recipe looks great, but we need to be careful about getting too much flax. It contains more estrogen than any other food, much more than soy, and it can have serious side effects. Here is an article about it: http://carbwars.blogspot.com/2013/02/wheat-belly-cookbook-review-is-flax-new_3.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Judy, I like the documented high nutritional benefits of flax despite the controversy about how much is safe for consumption. Thank you for your comment and the information you provided on your link. I'm learning more about flax and gluten free grains from studying the SCD diet, so as time goes on I might come back and try some substitutions for the flax and grains in my recipes. Let me know if you try the cookies and what ingredients you use. I'm sure they would be wonderful even without the flax. Thanks again

      Delete
  8. Hi Ali. Most of the good things I've read about flax cite its omega-3 content, but Omega-3s are available from other sources. I've been hearing some pretty scary things from people about their experiences with flax since I posted the article about it. I recently got an e-mail from a friend who lives in Sweden who said the Swedish equivalent of our FDA warns against eating flax, not because of the estrogen, but because of its high level of cyanide!

    I haven't tried your cookies yet, but they look yummy. I may try them with a little chia or psyllium instead of the flax. Judy BB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Judy, I've also backed off on flax and started using healthier seeds, nuts and low carb grains. I'll remake these soon and post my changes. Let me know how they turn out for you and what you use. Have a great day

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hi! Thanks for stopping by!
Thank you so much for your comments and questions. I respond as fast as I can, so please be sure to check back for your answer. By leaving a comment you are consenting to your email being collected for communication purposes only. Blessings, Ali