Featured Post

Brilliant Gluten Free Coconut Macaroons, GF, Sugarfree option

I love the sweet chewiness of a coconut macaroon but the sugar content in the commercial products was always too much for my tastes. Until I made these...They are divine and healthy! And guess what? they are super easy to make gluten free!

Skinny Gluten Free Baked Chocolate Doughnuts, GF, DF #glutenfree

I love making healthified gluten free goodies!  These are my new favorite doughnuts that I made for some late Christmas gifts.  Doughnuts are not something I eat very much, but if I do, I want them to taste decadent and be much lower in sugar and fat than the standard recipe. I cut the sugar in half and deleted most of the fat by using applesauce so that they are only 154 calories each unfrosted.  I have to say though, the frosting  really knocks them out of the park. The flavor was rich and deep, like fudge...yum! I made mine sugar free! Hope you enjoy this healthier doughnut for a special treat.     hugs,  Ali 
Gluten Free Baked Chocolate Doughnuts, GF, DF

 Ingredients:
  • 1 cup gluten free brown rice flour
  • 1/2 cup gluten free millet flour
  • 1/2 cup gluten free tapioca starch
  • 1 teaspoon xanthan gum or 2 teaspoons Yerba Prima psyllium husks, ground in coffee mill
  • 1 tablespoon flax seed, ground to meal
  • 1/2 cup gluten free unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 2 teaspoons gluten free baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon gluten free cinnamon
  • 1/2 cup coconut palm or any granulated sugar 
  • 1/2 cup Stevia baking blend.  I use Truvia. See notes below
  • 3 large eggs
  • 1/4 cup cold coffee
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla
  • 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
  • 3 tablespoons canola or coconut oil
  • 1/4 cup almond milk 
  • 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
Instructions:
Preheat your oven to 375°F.  Grease your doughnut pan.  Makes 14 doughnuts
  1. In a large bowl, whisk together all of the dry ingredients.
  2. In a smaller bowl, whisk together all of the wet ingredients.
  3. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and whisk until fully combined. It will be wet but thick, like cake batter.  Let it sit for 5 minutes
  4. Spoon or pipe mixture into prepared doughnut pan. 
  5. Bake in preheated oven for 10-12 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the thickest part of the doughnut comes out clean.
  6. Let doughnuts sit for a minute before taking them out of the pan. Allow to cool completely on a rack before frosting.
Notes and substitutions:

I haven't tried this recipe completely sugar free.  For low glycemic I would suggest substituting 1/4 cup local honey for the granulated sugar.  For sugar free I would use 1 cup Splenda  instead of the sugar and stevia baking blend. 


Chocolate Frosting:
Ingredients:
  • 1 cup gluten free confectioners’ sugar or
  • low glycemic option- process Coconut palm sugar in the food processor until it powders  
  • Sugar Free option- use a good tasting sugar free alternative like Truvia or  Erythritol and powder it in your food processor.
  • 2 tablespoons gluten free cocoa powder
  • 1 tablespoon butter, softened
  • 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla
  • 1-2 Tbsp milk or water
Directions:
Beat together the confectioners’ sugar, cocoa powder, butter, vanilla and enough milk to make the glaze the consistency you want. Dip your cooled doughnuts into the glaze, and set on a rack to harden.  Enjoy!!

Comments

  1. These doughnuts are yummy, we had them for New Year's and the Grandchildren loved them <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Adrienne!! I'm so glad you and your grandchildren liked them! hugs!

      Delete
    2. Omg.Made these this morning.Delicious!

      Delete
    3. Thanks Janie, I'm so glad you liked them and they turned out yummy! Did you change any of the ingredients? I'm always interested to hear about any revisions. Have a wonderful day. xx

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hi! Thanks for stopping by!
Thank you so much for your comments and questions. I respond as fast as I can, so please be sure to check back for your answer. By leaving a comment you are consenting to your email being collected for communication purposes only. Blessings, Ali