Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays and Allergy Free Wednesdays
Tony's Rockin' Low Carb GF German Chocolate Cake
- One (15 ounce) can unseasoned red kidney beans-drained and rinsed well in a colander
- 2 tablespoons fresh brewed coffee
- 1 teaspoon pure gluten free vanilla
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 5-10 drops of vanilla liquid Stevia
- 2 ounces Hershey German Sweet Chocolate, melted
- 4 tablespoons gluten free margarine, room temp/soft
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 5 large eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 cup Splenda (best results) or Stevia Baking Blend (or a low glycemic sugar)
- 4 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon of psyllium/flax meal binder (see recipe below)
- 3/8 c. Non-Fat evaporated milk
- 1/4 c. Splenda Brown Sugar Blend or coconut palm sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter or gluten free margarine
- 1 cup flaked unsweetened coconut
- 1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
Instructions: This recipe makes one 9 inch single layer cake.
Preheat Oven to 325 degrees
Grease a 9 inch round aluminum cake pan (mine has a removable bottom) with margarine (not butter) and dust with tapioca flour or cornstarch
- In your blender (this is what I use) or a food processor, add the rinsed beans, coffee, vanilla, molasses, melted chocolate and liquid Stevia. Blend on high until smooth, scraping down often.
- Add margarine, coconut oil, and eggs. Blend on high for a few minutes. Scraping sides down again.
- Add the baking powder, baking soda, Splenda, cocoa and psyllium/flax. Blend on high for several minutes more.
- Pour into prepared pan, smooth the top and tap the pan on the counter to settle
- Bake at 325 degrees on a oven rack positioned in the top third of your oven for 30-35 minutes. When you see the cake looks firm and is cracking a little, open the door, check for doneness by using a toothpick. It should come out clean.
- Remove cake to a wire rack. Let it sit for apx. 10 minutes and then gently take it out of the pan (if you can) to cool. My pan has a removable bottom that makes this easy.
In a saucepan over medium heat, bring brown sugar replacement, evaporated milk & butter to a full boil. Remove from heat & stir in coconut & pecans. Cool to room temperature, then top cake with frosting.
- Psyllium husk/flax meal binder. Grind 1/4 cup psyllium husk and 1/4 cup flax seed in a coffee mill until light and powdery. Use 1 teaspoon as directed above and store the rest in the fridge.