Featured Post

Brilliant Gluten Free Coconut Macaroons, GF, Sugarfree option

I love the sweet chewiness of a coconut macaroon but the sugar content in the commercial products was always too much for my tastes. Until I made these...They are divine and healthy! And guess what? they are super easy to make gluten free!

Gluten Free Pot Stickers and Sauce

Pot Stickers have been a love of mine for many years.  I made these today after watching an episode of Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives.  I made Hand pie dough for turnovers awhile ago and we really liked them, so I thought, there is no reason I can't make these work!  In the show they lightened regular flour with cornstarch, a bit of salt and worked in enough warm water to create the dough and then let it rest.  Now the trick is to figure out how to duplicate the regular flour properties with gluten free flours....


You don't need a lot of "gluten" for pot sticker skins but you need elasticity.  I used my dough hook to work the dough but you can also knead it by hand.
Try to press or roll your skins as thin as you can.  1/8" of an inch is the ideal and a tortilla press is a great tool.  I don't have one so I rolled as thinly as I could using floured parchment paper.  Next time I'll make them thinner, but even being a little thick, they tasted great!

5/18/13 Update!  I had some dough left over and put it in the fridge for another day.  Today I took it out, added a little water, some oil and some tapioca starch to work it back into a soft smooth (unsticky) dough.  Then I pressed the dough between sheets of plastic wrap that I sprayed really well with cooking oil, using a pie plate until it was really thin.  I removed the top sheet of plastic wrap,  put the filling on and folded the bottom sheet of plastic wrap up on the sides to seal the pot sticker.  It worked great!  Then I steamed them like Dim Sum in my steamer.  They were wonderful!  Hope you try and let me know how they work for you!

Gluten Free Pot Stickers and Sauce

Ingredients:

For the Skins

  • 1 cup gluten free sorghum flour
  • 1 cup gluten free white rice flour
  • 1/2 cup cornstarch or tapioca starch (I think a combination works best)
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon psyllium husks
  • 2 tablespoons oil 
  • 3/4-1 cup hot water
  • 2-3 tablespoons oil for pan

For the filling

Here's the wonderful tutorial and filling I used from James's Homemade Potstickers

For the Sauce

This is the Dipping sauce recipe I use.  Except I use San J Gluten Free Tamari for my Soy Sauce. 

Instructions:

  1. Add the sorghum flour, white rice flour, cornstarch, psyllium husks and salt to the large bowl of your mixer with the whisk attachment and blend.
  2. Attach your dough hook, and mix in the oil on low power.
  3. Add the hot water a little at a time until the dough comes together in a ball
  4. Let the dough rest on the counter for 30 minutes covered. 
  5. Flour your board or parchment paper and rolling pin with white rice flour and roll out the dough
  6. Cut into 4 inch circles and roll again if needed to 1/8" or as thin as you can.  
  7. Put your filling in the center of the skin, fold over and crimp along the edge gently with a little twist.
  8. Set your dumplings on a plate with the crimp up, gently push them to "stand" up by flattening the bottom on the plate.
  9. I use a large cast iron fry pan.  Heat oil to medium.  Set the dumplings in on flattened bottoms.  Let brown for a minute.  Reduce heat if they are browning too fast.
  10. Add 1 cup warm water to the pan.  Cover, but leave room for steam to escape.  Cook for apx 7-10 minutes or until the water has evaporated and filling is done. 
  11. Remove the lid and finish browning.   Do not touch or move the dumplings until they are done!  When done they should come up with a spatula.
  12. Enjoy!!

Comments