Featured Post

Brilliant Gluten Free Coconut Macaroons, GF, Sugarfree option

I love the sweet chewiness of a coconut macaroon but the sugar content in the commercial products was always too much for my tastes. Until I made these...They are divine and healthy! And guess what? they are super easy to make gluten free!

Hearty Pumpkin Chili with Beans, gluten free

Even living in sunny Florida I crave warm cozy dinners at this time of year.  Homemade Chili with pumpkin is one of our favorites.  I made a big batch for us and the kids at the Children's home last week. Sometimes I'll use a butternut squash, but this time I roasted my organic pie pumpkin from Space Girl Organics. It's a delicious and economical meal.  We serve it with brown rice and a big green salad.

This recipe will feed apx 8-10

Ingredients:

  • 2 pounds grass fed ground beef
  • 2 pounds dry pinto beans
  • 2 cups pie pumpkin or butternut squash, roasted, peeled and pureed
  • 4 stalks organic celery, diced
  • 4 organic carrots, diced
  • 1 small organic onion, diced
  • 1 organic green pepper, diced
  • 1 organic red pepper, diced
  • 1 can (14.5 ounce) gluten free stewed tomatoes
  • 1 small (6 ounce) can gluten free tomato paste
  • 1 tablespoon gluten free cumin, or more to taste
  • 1 tablespoon gluten free chili powder, or more to taste
  • 1 tablespoon McCormicks Montreal Steak Seasoning, or more to taste 
  • 1 can green chilies, opt  (I left them out for the kids)

Instructions:

  1. Wash and sort your beans.  I do this in a colander.  Add the beans to a large soup pot with enough water to cover.  Bring to a boil.  Put the lid on and remove from the heat.  Let sit for 1 1/2 hours.  Carefully drain the still hot water, again I use the colander, and then pour the beans back into the pot.  Cover the beans with fresh water and bring up to a full simmer.  Cook with the lid askew, until the beans are very tender. Apx 2 1/2 hours.  Drain. I leave a small amount (apx 1/4 cup) of the bean water in the pot for the chili. 
  2. Chop the pumpkin or squash into chunks, scrape out the seeds and strings, and roast in a single layer at 350 for 1 hour or until tender.  Cool slightly and peel the skin off, add the pulp to a blender and puree until smooth.  Measure out 2 cups. 
  3. In a large fry pan, brown the meat and drain the grease.  Add the veggies, saute for a few minutes. Add the rest of the ingredients and scrape up the bits from the bottom of the pan. Simmer covered with the lid askew for 1 hour, adding more seasonings or water, if too thick, as needed.
  4. Now combine the beans, pumpkin puree and the meat mixture.  Simmer until heated through.

Comments

  1. Looks like will be a delicious recipe to enjoy with family and friends. I like the pumpkin very much from my child hood but the way of cooking and ingredients you included, I don’t know before reading your blog. Thanks
    Home Chefs

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hi! Thanks for stopping by!
Thank you so much for your comments and questions. I respond as fast as I can, so please be sure to check back for your answer. By leaving a comment you are consenting to your email being collected for communication purposes only. Blessings, Ali