Featured Post

Brilliant Gluten Free Coconut Macaroons, GF, Sugarfree option

I love the sweet chewiness of a coconut macaroon but the sugar content in the commercial products was always too much for my tastes. Until I made these...They are divine and healthy! And guess what? they are super easy to make gluten free!

Gluten Free Corn Chex Fish and Chips-revised with New Baked option!


I made this last night for the first time (disregard the date!  I don't know how to reset my camera)  lol!  and it was one of the best meals we've had in a long time!!  I used frozen skinless and boneless Tilapia filets from Aldi defrosted gently in the microwave.
Then I soaked them for a bit in the egg
The coating is the same as my chicken but this time I ground it fine in my mini food processor
Press each piece in the coating to get good coverage and set on a plate until oil is hot
Heat your oil to good and hot but not smoking
Do your fish while the chips are baking. I used Ore Ida fries but you can make your own too
Season the fish with salt and pepper
and fry!!  oh, it smelled so good!!   let it brown on one side before you turn.
Once brown pop in the oven for 5 minutes or until fish flakes.  Drain on paper towels
I really missed fish and chips!!  I try not to fry our food but this is well worth a few extra calories. Keep your portion small and enjoy!
 Gluten Free Corn Chex Fish and Chips-revised with Baked option!

Ingredients

  • 2 cups Corn Chex or GF bread crumbs/crackers
  • 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
  • 1/2 teaspoon gluten free garlic powder
  • salt and pepper
  • 2 eggs beaten with a dash of milk
  • 3-4 tablespoons canola oil
  • 6 (4 ounce) tilapia fillets

Directions for Fried:

  1. Heat oven to 400 degrees F. 
  2. Prepare chips- I used Ore Ida
  3. Meanwhile, prepare the fish: Place Corn Chex, Parmesan, garlic powder in food processor and pulse until fine.
  4. Put crumbs on a plate and beaten egg mixture in another shallow bowl
  5. Dip or soak fish in egg and then press them into crumbs to coat
  6. Transfer to a plate and season
  7.  Heat a large ovenproof skillet over medium high heat.  Add oil and when it's hot, add the fish, cook for 3-4 min or until brown on each side.
  8. Then slide the skillet into the oven  (this is optional depending on the thickness of your fish)
  9. Bake apx 5 min. or until fish flakes easily with fork.
  10. Serve with ketchup or vinegar!  
  11. Also great in a sandwich with lettuce and tomato.  
New Directions for Baked:
  1.  Lately, I've been making this in the oven and love it.  Here's what I do
  2. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.  Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray
  3. Defrost your Tilapia filets
  4. Take a few slices of gluten free bread or use the Chex cereal. Grind finely with parmesan and spices in your food processor.  I like Old Bay seasoning, garlic and fresh ground pepper
  5. Pour crumbs onto a large plate.  
  6. Instead of egg I melted a stick of butter in a large bowl
  7. Dip the filets in the butter and then lay them into the crumbs, turn and coat the other side
  8. Put them on the baking sheet and bake for apx 10 minutes or until lightly browned and easy to flake. 

Comments