Featured Post

Brilliant Gluten Free Coconut Macaroons, GF, Sugarfree option

I love the sweet chewiness of a coconut macaroon but the sugar content in the commercial products was always too much for my tastes. Until I made these...They are divine and healthy! And guess what? they are super easy to make gluten free!

Gluten Free Chicken Pot Pie, so darn good

I've been cooking gluten free for over 2 years, but I had never tried making a gluten free a pot pie until now, and Oh, baby why did I wait?
My goodness, it was out of this world.  Pot pie's have always been one of our favorite dinners but I just hadn't found any gluten free pie crust recipes that I liked. This is now one of our top 10 dinners!

I made the filling with a roux and then made cream sauce.  So easy and delicious

I love how flaky the crust is!  I hope you enjoy it as much as we do.

Chicken Pot Pie Filling:

The Cream Sauce-

Ingredients

  • 4 tablespoons of butter 
  • 4 tablespoons of white rice flour ( I prefer rice flour but you can use GF cornstarch mixed with a little water into a slurry too)
  • 2 or more cups milk, start with a cup and then slowly whisk in more milk as it simmers until you have a smooth creamy consistency.
  • 1 lb bag of frozen mixed vegetables, I used a bag of  broccoli, carrots, peas & cauliflower 
  • 2-3 cups cooked chicken, cubed
  • Seasonings to taste
  • Salt and Pepper
  • 1/4-1/2 cup shredded cheese, we like cheddar or Parmesan-opt
  • 1 prepared pie crust for the top, or double the recipe if you want a bottom crust

The first crust I used is  from The Gluten-Free Homemaker or try my NEW Light & Flaky Pie Crust

Follow Linda's instructions for the pie crust. If it's dry add a little more water or milk like she suggests. It should be soft and pliable
Once you have the dough mixed, form into a flattened disc and wrap in plastic wrap or parchment paper. Put it in the fridge while you make the sauce.
When the white sauce is ready,  take your dough out of the fridge and let it sit on the counter for a few minutes. Flour your plastic wrap or parchment paper, lay the dough on one sheet, sprinkle it with a little more flour and then lay a sheet on top, so that after it's rolled out you can pick it up and transfer to your pie plate without breaking it. 

Cream Sauce Recipe 
  1. Melt butter  in a medium saucepan over low heat, bring to a gentle bubble. Don’t burn it or you will have to start over, just get the edge starting to cook.
  2. As soon as you see that the butter is bubbling add the flour slowly and whisk. Let that start to bubble and cook only about 20-30 seconds.
  3. Next slowly pour in a little of the milk, whisk to get it smooth and increase the temperature to medium.  Keep adding more milk slowly as it heats up and the sauce will thicken over the next few minutes, but you need to keep whisking to remove any lumps and get the right consistency.  You want it a little thick for the pie.
  4. Season your sauce to taste- Sometimes I add cheddar cheese and pepper at this point, or instead try Parmesan and a little minced garlic. A little onion powder or seasoning salt is also nice.
  5. Add chicken and veggies to the white sauce and pour into a large casserole dish or 10 inch pie plate ( if you are doing a bottom crust add it first of course)
  6. Carefully lay on your top crust dough and crimp the edges with your fingers or a fork.    Make a few small slits around the top crust to vent.  
  7. Bake at 375 degrees for apx 50 min or until crust is brown and pie is bubbling.    Enjoy!

Comments

  1. We are new at GF living, and I made this last night! It is awesome!
    Marj

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Daisy! sorry my reply feature wasn't working so I'm posting this again to make sure you know I appreciate your comment!! It's my favorite too! I'm so glad you liked it. Let me know what else I can help you with. I'm happy to figure out any recipe you are wanting. hugs, Ali

      Delete
  2. Hi Daisy! It's my favorite too! I'm so glad you liked it. Let me know what else I can help you with. I'm happy to figure out any recipe you are wanting. hugs, Ali

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hi! Thanks for stopping by!
Thank you so much for your comments and questions. I respond as fast as I can, so please be sure to check back for your answer. By leaving a comment you are consenting to your email being collected for communication purposes only. Blessings, Ali