Featured Post

Brilliant Gluten Free Coconut Macaroons, GF, Sugarfree option

I love the sweet chewiness of a coconut macaroon but the sugar content in the commercial products was always too much for my tastes. Until I made these...They are divine and healthy! And guess what? they are super easy to make gluten free!

Gluten Free Hawaiian Coconut Shrimp two ways, Paleo option

This was one of my top 10 dinners when we used to eat out in restaurants.  The first time I had coconut shrimp was in Kauai and I fell instantly in love!  This recipe is my version of how they made it there.  We don't fry food much anymore with Hubby's high cholesterol, but it was fun to try it this way and amazingly yummy.  I think I'll make a Skinnier version in the oven next time and will post soon.  Hope you enjoy!!  xoxo

Update  12/13/12   I tried baking these to cut the fat and calories and they came out great!! Added the baked recipe option below the original recipe for you!!


So Question of the day-What do you crave?  I would love to work on a recipe for you. hugs,  Ali

 You can use any Gluten Free flour you have on hand.  I thought the sweet Sorghum would go well
 I tried the coconut in a bowl but a large plate worked better
 The batter needs to be slightly thick so it will stay on
 Aren't they pretty?  and the smell is...heavenly
 Hubby didn't tell me until later that he burned his fingers holding this shot....he's so sweet
Gluten Free Coconut Shrimp with Brown Rice and Orange Spinach Salad!!

Linked to Full Plate Thursday and Slightly Indulgent Tuesday!    Thank you Miz Helen for featuring my High Protein bread on your blog!!  big hugs

Gluten Free Delectable Coconut Shrimp

Ingredients:

  • 12 oz large (23-30) fresh or frozen shrimp (if frozen, thaw quickly in a bowl of tepid water)
  • 3/4 cup Sorghum flour 
  • 1/2 cup cornstarch
  • 1 tsp. GF baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 1 egg
  • 1/4 cup cold coconut milk or water (you can add a little bit more if it's too thick)
  • 1 1/2 cups dry shredded unsweetened or sweetened coconut
  • 1 cup canola, or other high-temperature oil for frying

Instructions:

  1. First I put my rice in the rice cooker and turn it on.  
  2. Then prep your shrimp. Remove shells if any from shrimp, but leave tails on for easier cooking and eating. If using fresh shrimp-Clean out the little black vein by slitting the back slightly, wash out under running water. Set aside on paper towels.
  3. Now I make my salad.  I use fresh baby spinach with mandarin oranges and thinly sliced red onions
  4. Next make the batter by mixing the dry ingredients together: flour, cornstarch,baking powder, and salt in a large bowl.
  5. Crack the egg into the flour mixture, then add the coconut milk or water, whisk and form a smooth thick batter.
  6. Spread coconut over a large plate and set beside the bowl of batter.
  7. Holding the shrimp by the tail, dip into the batter, then into the coconut.  
  8. Place on a dry plate or a clean space of your counter near the stove. If you have a helper, you can batter and fry the shrimp in one step, which is much quicker.
  9. Pour oil into a large heavy frying pan, ensuring it's at least 1 inch deep. Set over medium-high to high heat. When you see lines of heat snaking across the bottom of the pan, test the temperature by dropping a tiny bit of batter into the oil. If it sizzles and cooks, the oil is ready.
  10. Gently place as many battered shrimp into the hot frying pan as you can,without crowding. Reduce heat to medium.
  11. Cook about 1 minute per side,turn with tongs and cook the other side until golden brown. Or if using fresh raw shrimp, cook until shrimp turns pink
  12. Drain on a clean piece of parchment paper or paper towels
  13. Serve hot straight from the pan, or accompany with Gluten Free Thai Sweet Chili Sauce  ENJOY!



Skinny Baked Coconut Shrimp


1 lb large raw shrimp, tail on, peeled and deveined
1/3 cup coconut flour
½ teaspoon salt
3 egg whites
2 cups GF unsweetened shredded coconut
  1. Preheat oven to 400. 
  2. In a mixing bowl, stir together the coconut flour and salt. 
  3. In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites until foamy.  
  4. On a large plate, pour the coconut.  
  5. Taking one shrimp at a time, dry well with a paper towel and dredge in the coconut flour mixture, dip into the egg whites and then roll into the coconut flakes.  
  6. Bake on a lightly greased baking sheet for 12- 15 minutes or until the shrimp are pink and the coconut flakes start to brown. Enjoy!

Comments

  1. YUM! Double YUM!!! what time did you say dinner was?? :)...visiting from Full Plate Thursday...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! thanks for commenting and come on over anytime!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ali,
    Coconut Shrimp is one of my favorites and your recipe looks awesome, I'm hungry! Hope you are having a great weekend and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Miz Helen, hope you're having a great weekend too! Thanks again for featuring my High Protein bread recipe on your lovely blog. hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Petitchef! I would love to add my blog to your site!! How kind of you to stop by and invite me. I hope to hear from you again in the future. Best regards to you as well. Ali

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have re-read your recipe a few times. I can't wait to try it! I'm not sure about my kids and coconut, but I know they all love shrimp. I was wondering what the coconut milk was for? It never says at what place to add the coconut milk. Thanks! I am looking forward to your posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Patty, sorry my reply feature wasn't working so I am sending this again. Thanks for catching that!! I originally used water and then tried coconut milk for the batter, it was even better!! but either way will work. I updated the recipe to include both. Thanks so much for stopping by and commenting. I would love to hear how the kids like it. xx

      Delete
  7. Hi Patty, thanks for catching that!! I originally used water and then tried coconut milk for the batter, it was even better!! but either way will work. I updated the recipe to include both. Thanks so much for stopping by and commenting. I would love to hear how the kids like it. xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Made this tonight. Taste great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Esther! how nice of you to take the time to leave a comment. I really appreciate it! Have a great day

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hi! Thanks for stopping by!
Thank you so much for your comments and questions. I respond as fast as I can, so please be sure to check back for your answer. By leaving a comment you are consenting to your email being collected for communication purposes only. Blessings, Ali