Featured Post

Brilliant Gluten Free Coconut Macaroons, GF, Sugarfree option

I love the sweet chewiness of a coconut macaroon but the sugar content in the commercial products was always too much for my tastes. Until I made these...They are divine and healthy! And guess what? they are super easy to make gluten free!

Gluten Free "Out of this world" General Tso's Recipe

I've been craving General Tso's chicken for awhile now since I went GF (wow..it's been almost two years!) and I've drooled over some great looking General Tso's recipes with breading, sauces and a million ingredients, thinking that it was too much trouble, but oh..I missed the spicy sweet flavor!  I didn't want all the breading and calories, so finally I decided to give it a try without it.  It turned out so good!  Truly Out of this world!  Lip smacking and finger licking.... It's definitely on my weekly menu from now on!

Question of the day?  What's your favorite Chinese takeout?  have you made it Gluten Free?



Linked to Gluten Free Fridays!



Gluten Free Out of this world General Tso's Chicken

 Ingredients:


  • 3/4 cup coconut palm sugar or regular dark brown sugar
  • 1/8-1/4 cup GF fish sauce (nam pla)   I hate fish sauce!  but it's great in this recipe.  I used 1/8 of a cup 
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 4 tablespoons rice vinegar
  • 1 teaspoon minced garlic
  • 2 teaspoons finely grated fresh ginger
  • 1 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
  • 2 or more quirts of Sriracha to taste.  I used 3 or 4 (approx 2 tsps) and it was hot..yum
  • 1 tablespoon canola oil
  • 3 shallots or 1/2 small onion, thinly sliced
  • 3 pounds skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch pieces  (or firm (squeezed) tofu for vegan)
Instructions:

    1. In a large bowl, combine the sugar, fish sauce, water, rice vinegar, garlic, ginger, pepper and Sriracha. 
    2. Add the chicken or tofu and marinate for 15-20 minutes
    3. Heat the oil in a large deep skillet. I used my large black cast iron pan.  
    4. Add the shallot and cook over moderate heat until softened, about 2 minutes. 
    5. Add the fish sauce mixture and the chicken and simmer over high heat until the chicken or tofu is cooked through, the liquid reduces and it turns a thick golden caramel, about 10 minutes. 
    6. Keep stirring while it reduces and be careful not burn.   I had to turn the heat down towards the end. 
    7. Serve With Steamed jasmine rice and broccoli.

    Notes- Because fish sauces vary in their saltiness, add the fish sauce carefully to taste.  Hope you enjoy!!  xoxo

    Comments

    1. I love making General Tso's tofu :) Thanks for linking up at our Gluten Free Fridays party! I have tweeted and pinned your entry to our Gluten Free Fridays board on Pinterest! :) See you next Friday! Next Friday one lucky blogger will be randomly selected to win a case of Planet Rice! Its yummy! Its gluten free, sprouted and grown in the US. You can link up to 3 entries! The more you link up the better you chances to win! (entries from US only) Cindy from vegetarianmamma.com

      ReplyDelete
    2. Sounds great! Thanks Cindy, have a wonderful week. xx

      ReplyDelete
    3. I love this stuff! I can't wait to try the GF version.

      ReplyDelete
    4. Me too!! You have to try this recipe. It rocks! Thanks for leaving such nice comments Heidi, I'll pop over and hook up next Monday! hugs, Ali

      ReplyDelete

    Post a Comment

    Hi! Thanks for stopping by!
    Thank you so much for your comments and questions. I respond as fast as I can, so please be sure to check back for your answer. By leaving a comment you are consenting to your email being collected for communication purposes only. Blessings, Ali