Featured Post

20 min. Yeast-Free, Gluten-Free Italian Bread & Easy Mezzetta Olive Tapenade

My favorite holiday memories are of having lots of family and friends over for big meals. I love doing the cooking, preparing holiday recipes, the noise and laughter in the house, and of course, eating the food. I've happily adapted most of my old recipes to gluten-free but I had one more challenge. I was missing crusty chewy   Italian bread that I could make into Crostini! I've always loved warm toasted chewy bites of Italian bread at holiday parties. Topped with Tapenade or made into Bruschetta, they are my favorite appetizers, but I hadn't quite found the right gluten-free flour blend to achieve that wonderful chewiness, until now! I'm so excited to share my NEW 20-minute Gluten-free, Yeast-free, Egg-Free, and Xanthan Gum-Free Italian Bread Rolls with you and did I say, they only take 20 minutes? No yeast, no rising and so easy to make. This amazing dough is also perfect patted out thin for flatbread or pizza crust. Scroll down to see my new Pizza crust u

Gluten Free Low Glycemic Almond Lace Cookie

I made up this recipe last night that I found handwritten in the back of  one of my oldest cookbooks.  You know the ones we have with the bindings falling off and spots on the pages?...I love my cookbooks! I think I got this recipe from my Scandinavian Mother in law a million years ago.  They roll nicely and are very flexible so I'm going to work on fillings for them too.  I think I'll try the recipe again soon and see if I can cut back the honey a bit so they aren't so sweet.  I'll let you know how the second try comes out, but in the meantime if you want to give it a go, these are fun and easy.  xx
10/9 follow up note-  I haven't worked on changing this recipe yet because I LOVE them now!  I found the second batch that I made that night is pretty darn perfect.  I let them get a little darker brown (I forgot them for a second) and I notice that as they cooled, the darker cookies "crisped up" much better than the first batch.  I put them in the fridge overnight and when I bit into the darker rolled cookie...it shattered a bit...yum!! now I'm hooked....Best of all, I calculated the calories at only 100 per cookie!! 


The recipe is very simple!
 Try to make them the same size

They spread!
Gluten Free Low Glycemic Almond Lace Cookies-

Ingredients:

1 1/4 cup of ground raw almond meal. 

1/2 cup honey

1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter or coconut oil, melted. 

Instructions:

  1. Grind almonds to a flour meal with some bits.  The bits make a nice crunchy texture.  
  2. I use my coffee grinder.  Measure after grinding
  3. Beat all in a bowl by hand until visibly thickened.  
  4. Drop by teaspoon leaving lots of room to spread. 
  5. Bake at 375 on large greased sheet for 6-7 minutes or until brown. They will bubble like crazy, then the bubbles will flatten, and they start to brown.  
  6. Watch carefully in the last minutes! You want a good consistent medium brown color but don't burn them.  
  7. Makes 15 large cookies

Cool on the pan for a few minutes until they firm up a bit and then use a small sharp spatula to ease up edges and remove.  Roll around a tube if you want to fill them or leave flat.  We used a turkey baster!  Cool well on wax paper, turning once in awhile to keep them round if you roll them.  Store in a large covered container in the fridge.    I'm thinking of maybe making a ricotta filling to pipe in, but they are great plain.

Comments