Featured Post

Brilliant Gluten Free Coconut Macaroons, GF, Sugarfree option

I love the sweet chewiness of a coconut macaroon but the sugar content in the commercial products was always too much for my tastes. Until I made these...They are divine and healthy! And guess what? they are super easy to make gluten free!

Gluten Free Easy Pots de Creme, so yummy


It's incredible how easy and delicious this recipe is. It tastes like the "to die for" mousse pudding you would order in a restaurant.  And my recipe is much lower in fat and calories!  I was making pies and ended up with lots of leftover filling, so I threw the rest of the filling into ramekins and baked it. Crossing my fingers and toes as I usually do when I wing a recipe  :)
There are many versions of Pots de Creme on the web as I came to find out.  Some people blend everything in the blender and then pour into pots to bake. Some heat the chocolate over a double boiler.
I really liked heating the milk just to a boil for a minute and then pouring it over the chopped chocolate, it's simple and fast. Simple and fast makes me very happy.
You can try coconut or almond milk for a dairy free alternative.  And I'm sure you could use sugar free chocolate but I was happy using a very dark chocolate with mine.  Dark chocolate has very little sugar and no aftertaste.  Hope you enjoy!

Boil your milk,  I don't like all the fat and calories in the traditional heavy cream recipes, so I used coconut milk and evaporated milk.  If you need dairy free you can try all coconut milk

Tempering the eggs is important.  I add one spoon at a time of the hot to the eggs and whisk well. If you added them directly to the hot chocolate mixture you would have scrambled eggs in your pudding... that doesn't sound very appetizing  :)
I filled my pots less than 1/2 full to keep my portion size down.  It's a rich wonderful desert, so even a little bit satisfies my cravings.  And it leaves room for your whipped cream!
 Bake in the middle of the oven.  You can also put them on a baking sheet but I like to live dangerously.

Gluten Free Pots de Creme a la Menthe

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup coconut milk
  • 1/2 cup evaporated milk
  • 2 tablespoons honey
  • 1/2 cup gluten free chocolate chips
  • 3 ounces gluten free dark chocolate mint bar, chopped
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • tiny dash salt

Instructions:

Heat oven to 350 degrees.  Grease 4-6 small oven proof ramekins or jars

  1. In a heavy bottomed sauce pan, combine the coconut milk, evaporated milk and honey
  2. Bring to a boil, stirring often.
  3. In a small bowl, whisk the eggs for a minute until lemon yellow and fluffy
  4. In another large bowl, microwave your chocolate chips and chopped chocolate for about apx 30-45 seconds or until it just starts to melt. 
  5. Pour the boiling milk over the chocolate and whisk until all the chocolate is completely melted.
  6. Slowly add a few tablespoons, one at a time, of the warm chocolate to the beaten egg to temper and stir well
  7. Now pour the tempered egg mixture into the remaining chocolate and whisk it all thoroughly
  8. Fill your ramekins about 1/2 full.  They will expand so leave some room
  9. Bake for apx 25 minutes or until the edges are done and the pudding is still moving a little — the creams will settle once they cool down. 
  10. Place plastic wrap on top and place them in the fridge to rest for a few hours before eating.
  11. This recipe can be doubled.

Comments