Featured Post

Brilliant Gluten Free Coconut Macaroons, GF, Sugarfree option

I love the sweet chewiness of a coconut macaroon but the sugar content in the commercial products was always too much for my tastes. Until I made these...They are divine and healthy! And guess what? they are super easy to make gluten free!

Gluten Free Low Carb Burgtheater Cake

This is my adaption of a very old and incredibly easy recipe from Europe. The other day I made a chocolate low carb bean flour cake that came out dry. I wanted to see if I could find a way to reuse it.

After much research, I read that the bakers in Vienna would use day old cake crumbs to make an inexpensive cake to serve at the Opera houses. I found that many bakeries even to this day, will save their day old cakes, failures or cookies and remake them into crusts, crumbles or new cakes.  Isn't that amazing?

Now I know you won't usually have cake to throw away, but just in case you do, this is how to save it.

Have you ever had baking disasters?
Gluten Free Burgtheater Cake

Ingredients
  • 5 large eggs
  • 7/8 cup of butter or gluten free margarine, softened
  • 2 tablespoons orange zest-opt  (I didn't add.  I like the almond and chocolate flavors to come thru)
  • 1 teaspoon gluten free cinnamon
  • 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
  • 1 cup of equivalent granulated sugar free alternative.  I used 1 cup of Splenda 
  • 1½ cups almond meal, finely ground, sift and regrind
  • 3 cups low carb GF chocolate cake, crumbled  (I used a chocolate bean cake that came out dry)
  • 1 cup sugarfree raspberry preserves
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 350ยบ
  2. Prepare a spring form pan: grease bottom and sides well.
  3. In a large mixer bowl or food processor, beat butter and sugar until creamy and light.
  4. Beat in eggs one at a time, add zest, cinnamon, and cocoa and stir
  5. Add almond meal and cake crumbles, and stir well.
  6. Pour into prepared pan.
  7. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
  8. Cool in pan, then un-mold and turn onto a serving platter.
  9. Slice horizontally with a large sharp serrated knife  and lay the top gently aside
  10. Spread with raspberry jam evenly and replace the top
  11. Sprinkle with powdered sugar.

Comments