Featured Post

Brilliant Gluten Free Coconut Macaroons, GF, Sugarfree option

I love the sweet chewiness of a coconut macaroon but the sugar content in the commercial products was always too much for my tastes. Until I made these...They are divine and healthy! And guess what? they are super easy to make gluten free!

Gluten Free Low Carb Light and Fluffy Biscuits

Biscuits and sausage gravy with a egg on top for breakfast is my husband's absolute favorite.   I admit I enjoy it too, so I've been working hard on these light fluffy Low Carb Biscuits for my new diet!  I made them the first time with coconut oil and they turned out great, but the coconut flavor is a little strong for a savory biscuit.  

 The second try was just as good with butter, so I'll save the coconut oil for when we want a sweet biscuit.  They take minutes to make and I love drop biscuits, but you can pat out the dough and cut them out if you prefer.  I'm all about easy clean up- so using one bowl and a spoon works for me!

The secret to a light fluffy biscuit is not handling or over mixing the dough.   

Cut in your fat, either butter or coconut oil.  I like my coconut oil and butter a little solid, and then I use two knives to cut it in. Then add the milk and barely stir.  It will all come together quickly.  Bake immediately and enjoy!! 

For even lower carbs, you can delete the potato flour and use 1/4 cup more bean flour.  I like the moistness that the little bit of potato flour adds.  Note,  I use potato flour, not starch.   Let me know what you think! 

Gluten Free Low Carb Light and Fluffy Biscuits

Nutrition Info
  • Calories: 41.7
  • Fat: 2.9g
  • Carbohydrates: 2.5g
  • Protein: 1.4g

Ingredients:

  • 1 1/2 cups garbanzo bean flour or any whole grain gluten free flour
  • 1/4 cup potato flour (not starch)
  • 1/3 cup flax meal, finely ground
  • 1 teaspoon xanthan gum or 1 teaspoon psyllium husks
  • 1 tablespoon sugar or sugar free substitute-opt
  • 3 teaspoons gluten free baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 cup unsalted butter or coconut oil, room temperature, not melted (reserve a little butter to brush the tops)  note: you can try cutting back on this a bit to reduce calories if needed
  • 3/4-1 cup skim milk (or 1 cup buttermilk (To make your own, add a tablespoon of lemon juice or apple cider vinegar to milk and let stand until it curdles)

Instructions:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees  Grease baking sheet

  1. Whisk well or sift the dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
  2. Add butter (not melted); cut in just until mixture resembles coarse meal. 
  3. Add milk, Stir only enough to incorporate.  Over handling will make the biscuits tough
  4. Pat out on a floured board; cut into biscuits.   Or for drop biscuits, use a little more milk and drop  spoonfulls onto a greased baking sheet. 
  5. Brush tops with a little of the reserved butter, melted
  6. Bake apx 12 minutes or until lightly browned and just firm to touch.

Serving Size: Makes 10- 16 biscuits

Comments

Post a Comment

Hi! Thanks for stopping by!
Thank you so much for your comments and questions. I respond as fast as I can, so please be sure to check back for your answer. By leaving a comment you are consenting to your email being collected for communication purposes only. Blessings, Ali