Featured Post

Brilliant Gluten Free Coconut Macaroons, GF, Sugarfree option

I love the sweet chewiness of a coconut macaroon but the sugar content in the commercial products was always too much for my tastes. Until I made these...They are divine and healthy! And guess what? they are super easy to make gluten free!

Chicken and Tomatillos on Rice, GF, DF

One of my best friends is from Mexico and went to culinary school in Mexico City. She met her husband when he was an exchange student staying with her family. They later married and she moved to Texas where my family is from. I met Maria when she and her husband opened a Mexican restaurant near where we lived. It was some of the best food I've ever had in my life and over the next several years Maria taught me most of what I know about cooking. Texas summers are stifling and we would spend the time at her husband's family ranch house talking and cooking while drinking horchata (sweetened, spiced rice milk), jamaica (hibiscus tea), or tequila.

One thing I love about Mexican food is that the bulk of it is naturally gluten-free and I'm looking forward to making Maria's dishes and sharing them with you. Tonight I'm cooking one of my favorite vegetables, tomatillos.


Chicken with Tomatillos on Rice

Ingredients:

2 cups or 1/2 lb cooked chicken, diced or shredded
2 lbs tomatillos, diced into 1 inch pieces
1 onion, diced
1 jalapeno, diced
1 tsp minced garlic
1 tablespoon lime juice
Salt
Pepper
Olive Oil
4 cups cooked brown rice

Instructions:

1. Saute onion, jalapeno and garlic in olive oil over medium heat.

2. Once onion is translucent and lightly starting to brown add tomatillos, chicken, lime juice and season with salt and pepper.

3. Continue to cook over medium heat about 15-20 minutes until tomatillos cook down and change from bright green to yellow-green in color. The tomatillos will become saucy and resemble stewed tomatoes.

4. Serve over rice.

Note: This would also be delicious with leftover pork roast or beef roast that you want to stretch into another meal. 

Comments