Brilliant Gluten Free Coconut Macaroons, GF, Sugarfree option
I love the sweet chewiness of a coconut macaroon but the sugar content in the commercial products was always too much for my tastes.
Until I made these...They are divine and healthy! And guess what? they are super easy to make gluten free!
Gorgeous Gluten Free Coconut Macaroons
Makes two dozen cookies
- 2 1/2 cups gluten-free unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/3 cup organic granulated cane sugar- For a Sugar-Free option see recipe below*
- 5 tablespoons plain Fat-Free Greek Yogurt- here's my recipe
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil, melted
- 1 1/2 teaspoons gluten-free pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 6 medium organic egg whites, beaten (Or 4 extra large egg whites)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- In the large bowl of your mixer, beat together the coconut, sugar, yogurt, coconut oil, vanilla and almond extract with the paddle attachment. Beat just until mixture is well incorporated and resembles a dough.
- Remove large bowl and replace with a clean small bowl for the egg whites.
- Whip the egg whites and salt on medium-high speed with the whisk attachment until you get peaks.
- Carefully fold the egg whites into the coconut mixture. Don't mix too long.
- Refrigerate for 10 minutes
- Drop the batter onto cookie sheet lined with parchment paper using either a small cookie scoop or a generously mounded teaspoon full.
- Bake for appx 25 or until golden brown. Cool and serve.
You could try Erythritol too, of course, but I haven't used it yet. Let me know how it turns out and I'll add it to the recipe!