Featured Post

Brilliant Gluten Free Coconut Macaroons, GF, Sugarfree option

I love the sweet chewiness of a coconut macaroon but the sugar content in the commercial products was always too much for my tastes. Until I made these...They are divine and healthy! And guess what? they are super easy to make gluten free!

"Kiss Me" Gluten Free Scalloped Potatoes and Ham


"Kiss Me"  That's what my hubby said when he tasted my new Gluten Free Scalloped Potatoes and Ham. That's a huge compliment from my guy!

Life is good when your family loves your homemade gluten free meals!

I made this with a homemade gluten free Bechamel sauce that you have to try. It's so easy and delicious. You'll be putting this sauce on everything like I do!

Gluten Free Scalloped Potatoes and Ham

Ingredients:

  • 4-5 medium Russet Potatoes, par cooked * cooled and sliced
  • 2 cups cooked ham, cubed
  • 6 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, grated
  • Bechamel Sauce  (apx 2 1/2-3 cups)
  • Salt and Pepper
  • 1 clove Roasted garlic, minced  (or 1/2 clove of fresh garlic, minced) opt.  I smash the roasted clove and stir into the sauce prior to layering.
Instructions:

 Preheat Oven to 350 degrees/176 C

Grease the bottom of a 9 x13 baking dish with high sides
  1. Lay 1/2 of the sliced potatoes in the bottom of your baking dish, slightly overlapping them until the bottom of the dish is covered.  Season with a little salt and fresh ground pepper
  2. Put 1/2 of the ham over the potatoes and press down a little
  3. Sprinkle 1/2 of the cheese over the ham
  4. Ladle or spoon 1/2 of the Bechamel (white sauce) over the ham
  5. Do it again
  6. Lay out the rest of the potatoes, overlapping and covering the sauce.  Grind on a little more pepper.  Then, the rest of the ham ( sprinkle around and press down slightly)  and the rest of the cheese.
  7. Now, top with the last half of the Bechamel sauce  (whisk well- if it's lumpy)
  8. Bake casserole on a cookie sheet in the middle of the oven for 30-40 minutes or until browned and bubbling.

*Par cooked potatoes.  Scrub potatoes and microwave for 4-5 minutes or until a knife just pierces but the potatoes are still firm. 

You can use raw potatoes in this dish.  Slice them very thin and increase cooking time by 15-20 minutes.

Comments

  1. This isn't gluten free using the Bechamel sauce.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, if you click on the Bechamel sauce link it will take you to my Gluten Free Bechamel recipe! All of my recipes are gluten free. Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
    2. Hi - I'm making this for Easter. It's in the oven right now! I must be blind - where does the garlic clove come into play? I threw it into the bechamel sauce. I didn't have a lot of sauce - it didn't cover the potatoes.... but fingers crossed it all comes together. Thank you for the recipe!

      Delete
    3. Kerry, I'm sure it will turn out great. I make apx 3 cups of sauce and it's plenty. It will mix with the cheese. Don't worry about the garlic. I just add a little to the sauce for extra flavor and missed it in the instructions. Sorry! Thanks for the heads up and I'll fix that now. Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  2. Can this be assembled ahead of time, say in the morning, to bake that night for dinner?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it should be fine! I haven't tried it but I look forward to hearing your results! Thanks for asking and have a great day.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hi! Thanks for stopping by!
Thank you so much for your comments and questions. I respond as fast as I can, so please be sure to check back for your answer. By leaving a comment you are consenting to your email being collected for communication purposes only. Blessings, Ali