Featured Post

Brilliant Gluten Free Coconut Macaroons, GF, Sugarfree option

I love the sweet chewiness of a coconut macaroon but the sugar content in the commercial products was always too much for my tastes. Until I made these...They are divine and healthy! And guess what? they are super easy to make gluten free!

Low Carb Luscious Lemon Cheesecake, GF, SCD option


I'm crazy about cheesecake and this one is truly luscious!  It's easy to make, Low Carb, dense and creamy.  I made a cheesecake awhile ago that is a lot like this, but this one tops the chart.  It tastes like a cross between a decadent mousse and a New York Cheesecake with a fraction of the calories.  It's so good I don't even miss the crust!

Today I read the book Breaking the Vicious Cycle: Intestional Health Through Diet by Elaine Gottschall. I highly recommend it! This is my adaption of her cheesecake recipe.  
Elaine talks about the dangers of grains, lactose, sugars, and other foods that contribute to bad gut health.  For centuries doctors and scientists have known of the dangers of gut imbalance and the foods that fuel the bad bacteria, but many of their findings have been dismissed as unproven.  Now the world is starting to listen to these theories and hopefully in the future we will be able to prevent autoimmune diseases.  Note- in her book Elaine talks about using lactose free dry curd cottage cheese.  I couldn't find it in my store so I washed my cottage cheese in a colander until the water ran clear.  That method might not be good for anyone with lactose problems so please use your best judgement.
Have you tried the SCD diet?

Adapted from  Breaking the Vicious Cycle: Intestional Health Through Diet by Elaine Gottschall


Ingredients:
  • 4 large organic eggs
  • 1/4 cup organic local honey
  • 1/4 cup plain yogurt - try my recipe for DIY Crockpot Greek Yogurt
  • 1 1/4 cups uncreamed cottage cheese (or dry curd for SCD)
  • 7 ounces cream cheese, softened  (or for SCD/lactose free use an additional 3/4 cup dry curd)
  • 10 drops Vanilla Liquid Stevia  (Elaine likes the pink packets..so it's up to you)
  • 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Grease the bottom only of  a 9x5x3 loaf pan

Instructions:
  1. In your food processor, add the ingredients in order listed above.   Pulse a few times and then blend  well until smooth. 
  2. You batter will be thin so whatever pan you use should be well sealed.  Only grease the bottom of your pan so that the cheesecake can rise up the sides
  3. Place a sheet pan with sides on the middle rack of your preheated oven.  I use my broiler pan.
  4. Put your cake in the middle of the sheet pan
  5. Fill the sheet pan about half way up with warm water.
  6. Bake for apx 60 minutes or until the edges brown and the cheesecake is firm.
  7. Cool before cutting and store in the refrigerator.
Berry Glaze

Heat berries with a little honey in a small saucepan until they start to simmer and thicken.  Remove from heat and serve warm or cold over the cheesecake.