Featured Post

Brilliant Gluten Free Coconut Macaroons, GF, Sugarfree option

I love the sweet chewiness of a coconut macaroon but the sugar content in the commercial products was always too much for my tastes. Until I made these...They are divine and healthy! And guess what? they are super easy to make gluten free!

Paleo Pear Clafoutis, free of gluten, sugar, dairy and grains!

In 2005 I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's Thyroid disease and in 2010 I started tackling the challenges of living gluten-free.  It's been fun, pull your hair out frustrating, but slowly I've healed.

I baked everything I craved, had epic failures and fabulous triumphs like my Spectacular Gluten Free Bread, but I wasn't feeling as healthy as I hoped I would, and I knew there was more that I needed to do to heal my body.   I started taking probiotics and vitamins but my tummy still hurt so I started to research again.

I learned that the next step to healing is cutting out dairy, refined sugar, most grains, and legumes. Tough stuff for the baker girl!  I console myself by making big batches each week of my favorite  lactose free Greek yogurt and Almond Milk.

I also learned that avoiding all pesticides and GMO produce is important for my gut so I'm now eating organic fruits and vegetables!
My Pear Clafoutis is easy to make and so delicious using fresh organic butter, eggs and pears. I make it with local honey for refined sugar free or stevia for sugar free!



Paleo Pear Clafoutis, gluten-free, refined sugar-free, dairy-free and grain-free

Ingredients:
  • 5 tablespoons Earth Balance or organic butter (if you can have dairy), melted
  • 1/4 teaspoon gluten free organic cornstarch or arrowroot
  • 1 cup raw almond meal, finely ground, grind small batches of raw almonds in coffee mill until light and fluffy, sift and regrind. Or try Bob's Red Mill Almond Meal Flour
  • 1/2 cup leftover ground almond mash, squeezed dry (leftover from making Almond milk) or just use 1/2 cup more almond meal  *see notes below
  • 3 large organic eggs
  • pinch sea salt
  • 1/4 cup local honey  (or for sugar free use 1 teaspoon liquid Stevia and 8 teaspoons unsweetened applesauce)
  • 2-3 organic pears, cored and sliced 1/4" thick
Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease your pie plate with butter
  1. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the melted butter, cornstarch.
  2. Add 1 cup almond meal  and 1/2 cup dry almond mash or if you don't make Almond Milk, use a total of 1 1/2 cups finely ground and sifted almond meal
  3. Whisk in eggs, salt and honey until smooth.
  4. Pour into the greased pie plate
  5. Lay the pears over the batter in a circular overlapping pattern.
  6. Bake for apx 45 minutes or until brown on the bottom and edges and set in the middle.   You can eat it warm or cold.  It will set up more as it cools. 

Notes-  I always soak my raw gluten free almonds overnight to make them more digestible.  Drain the water and then dry your nuts in the oven or if you're like me and hate to waste energy, use a toaster oven on the lowest setting. Mine goes down to 150.  Slow roast in a single layer until crispy and dry.  Store in tupperware in the fridge and use for baking and making Almond Milk