Featured Post

Brilliant Gluten Free Coconut Macaroons, GF, Sugarfree option

I love the sweet chewiness of a coconut macaroon but the sugar content in the commercial products was always too much for my tastes. Until I made these...They are divine and healthy! And guess what? they are super easy to make gluten free!

Dairy Free Homemade Plum Ice Cream, gluten free, low glycemic

 I got a huge bunch of ripe organic plums from Space Girl Organics this last week.  So I made plum sauce!

 I love plum sauce with deserts and meats.  This time I used it in my dairy free ice cream.
I made my first volunteer dinner delivery to the children's home on Monday.  It was so fun cooking for them! Space Girl Organics generously provided me with lots of fruits and vegetables to use in my cooking.
I joked with SGO friends that I felt like I was on an episode of Chopped!  I had all this great organic food but now what can I make out of it?  In the end, I made some fun new recipes and I'll be posting what I made for the family soon. So stay tuned!
Here's the recipe for plum sauce and how I used it in my coconut ice cream.  This ice cream is a smooth and luscious dairy free desert!

Plum Coconut Ice Cream

Ingredients:
  • 2 cups cold Silk Coconut milk beverage
  • 1 can cold organic unsweetened coconut milk.  I used Native Forest
  • 1 cup cold homemade plum sauce
  • 1/4 cup local honey, to taste
  • 1 stopper full of vanilla liquid stevia or 1/4 teaspoon pure stevia extract, to taste
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon guar gum or xanthan gum
  • 1 tablespoon vodka, this keeps the ice cream softer
Instructions:
  1. Combine the coconut milk, coconut beverage, sugar, guar gum, vodka and salt in a blender.  Cover and blend for 2 minutes.
  2. Add the cold fruit sauce and blend for another minute.
  3. Pour into ice cream maker and process according to the manufacturer's directions.
To store, transfer to a plastic container with a tight fitting lid.  Place plastic wrap on top of the ice cream, cover and freeze.  To serve allow to thaw slightly or microwave for one minute


Plum sauce  

This recipe makes a great sauce for ice cream, smoothies or meats.  With the addition of spices you can easily make this into a great Asian Pork sauce too.

Ingredients:
  • 8 cups or 3 pounds peeled organic plums, pitted and chopped  (see instructions below)
  • filtered water to barely cover
  • 1/2 cup local honey
  • fresh lemon juice-opt
Instructions:
  1. To remove the skins- In a large pot, bring whole plums covered in water just to a boil, remove from heat, fill pot with ice.  
  2. Take out the plums, empty the water and slip skins from plums.  Cut plums in half and seed.  
  3. Return plums to the pot and add just enough filtered water to cover.
  4. Add honey and bring to a low boil stirring often
  5. Simmer until the fruit has completely cooked down and thickened.  Add more water as needed. Sweeten to taste.
  6. Use in coconut ice cream recipe when cooled.  Put the rest into tightly covered tupperware in fridge or freezer for longer storage.