Featured Post

Brilliant Gluten Free Coconut Macaroons, GF, Sugarfree option

I love the sweet chewiness of a coconut macaroon but the sugar content in the commercial products was always too much for my tastes. Until I made these...They are divine and healthy! And guess what? they are super easy to make gluten free!

Pink Pearl Apple Stuffed Squash, gluten free

I'm cooking for our local children's home this week and having fun working on recipes for the kids. In my box from Space Girl Organics I found beautiful organic squash and Pink Pearl apples.
I knew the Pink Pearl apples would be perfect for my favorite Stuffed Squash recipe. They are crisp, a little tart, and they hold up really well in baking.
You can serve this as a side dish or desert.  I also like it warmed up for breakfast.  I hope the kid's love it!


Ingredients:

  • 2 acorn or carnival squash
  • 4 small organic Pink Pearl apples, or any tart firm apple, diced
  • 4 teaspoons organic raw local honey
  • 4 teaspoons organic butter or Earth Balance
  • 2 teaspoons organic gluten free cinnamon
  • 2 tablespoons organic brown cane sugar

Instructions:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees

  1. Wash and cut each squash in half.  Remove seeds and strings.  Wrap each in foil, leaving the top open and place on a baking dish or cookie sheet.  
  2. Place one teaspoon of butter, one teaspoon of honey and a sprinkle of cinnamon in each and bake for 20 minutes.
  3. In a medium bowl add the diced apples, brown sugar, and the rest of the cinnamon.  Mix until the apples are well coated. 
  4. Remove the squash from the oven.  Divide the apple mixture evenly and fill each squash, mounding slightly.
  5. Put them back in the oven,  for 30-40 minutes or until the squash is tender when pierced.