Featured Post

20 min. Yeast-Free, Gluten-Free Italian Bread & Easy Mezzetta Olive Tapenade

My favorite holiday memories are of having lots of family and friends over for big meals. I love doing the cooking, preparing holiday recipes, the noise and laughter in the house, and of course, eating the food. I've happily adapted most of my old recipes to gluten-free but I had one more challenge. I was missing crusty chewy   Italian bread that I could make into Crostini! I've always loved warm toasted chewy bites of Italian bread at holiday parties. Topped with Tapenade or made into Bruschetta, they are my favorite appetizers, but I hadn't quite found the right gluten-free flour blend to achieve that wonderful chewiness, until now! I'm so excited to share my NEW 20-minute Gluten-free, Yeast-free, Egg-Free, and Xanthan Gum-Free Italian Bread Rolls with you and did I say, they only take 20 minutes? No yeast, no rising and so easy to make. This amazing dough is also perfect patted out thin for flatbread or pizza crust. Scroll down to see my new Pizza crust u

Creamy Tomato & Squash Soup, gluten free, dairy free

Soup is so fun to make. I love chopping and tossing everything in a big pot and thanks to Space Girl Organics I have wonderful organic produce to play with. 
Earlier this year we planted one small seedling tomato plant that grew into a monster!  I've had cherry tomatoes coming out my ears.  I'm using them in everything, giving them away, and found that they freeze well too!
The combination of creamy squash and tomatoes in this soup is wonderful.  I also threw in a zucchini that needed to be used up. 
If you don't already know, Delicata squash doesn't need to be peeled! I love that! 
So, I wash the squash, remove the seeds and strings and chop.  I also throw the tomatoes in whole. They all cook down and then are blended into this amazing creamy soup.  I hope you enjoy.  
Makes 4-6 servings

Ingredients:
  • 1 small organic onion, minced
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 2 tablespoons organic olive oil
  • 2 pints organic cherry tomatoes
  • 1 medium Delicata squash, remove seeds and strings, diced (or Butternut is great too, but needs to be peeled)
  • 1 organic zucchini, peeled and diced
  • 2 cups homemade chicken or vegan stock
  • Salt & Pepper to taste
  • Splash cream or dairy free/vegan alternative, as needed
  • optional spices- grated ginger and turmeric
Instructions:
  1. In a heavy soup pot on medium heat, add olive oil, onion and garlic.  Saute, stirring for a few minutes until just translucent.
  2. Add tomatoes, squash, zucchini and saute, stirring for several minutes more.
  3. Add stock, seasonings and simmer, reducing heat if necessary.  Cover with lid askew and cook until the vegetables are very soft.  Apx 30 minutes.
  4. Add a splash of cream, if using.  Taste and season again if needed.
  5. Remove the pot from the heat and using an immersion blender, blend until very smooth.  If you don't peel your Delicata squash there will be tiny bits of green that will remain. We think they taste great and a some texture to the soup.  If you want a perfectly smooth soup, peel the squash before cooking.  If you don't have a immersion blender you can use a regular blender, adding soup in small batches. Be very careful, run the blender on a slow speed and hold the top on tightly or it will erupt and could burn you.  A food processor works too.  
  6. Return to heat and gently rewarm, stirring often.
  7. Serve with crusty gluten free bread or crackers and a green salad.

Comments