Featured Post

Brilliant Gluten Free Coconut Macaroons, GF, Sugarfree option

I love the sweet chewiness of a coconut macaroon but the sugar content in the commercial products was always too much for my tastes. Until I made these...They are divine and healthy! And guess what? they are super easy to make gluten free!

Dad's Cinnamon Banana Nut Skillet Cake, gluten free

My hubby loves banana bread and sticky buns with tons of nuts. I had the idea to combine the two and made this skillet cake for him with organic bananas from my friends at Space Girl Organics. It turned out amazing! It would be easy enough even for kids, with a little help from Mom, to make Dad breakfast on Father's Day. Here's how I did it...

Ingredients:

Bottom layer:
  • 3 tablespoons organic butter
  • 1/3 cup organic brown cane sugar or coconut palm sugar
  • 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped 
  • 2 large organic bananas, sliced thickly
  • 1 teaspoon organic gluten free cinnamon, to taste
Cake layer:
  • 1/4 cup local honey
  • 2 large organic eggs
  • 1/4 cup plain yogurt or organic coconut milk
  • 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
  • 1 small (1/2 cup) ripe organic banana, mashed well
  • 1 heaping teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon organic apple cider vinegar
  • 1/2 cup coconut flour
  • 1/2 cup Bob's Red Mill Almond Meal flour
  • dash salt
Instructions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
  1. In a large cast iron skillet or heavy cake pan, add the butter and heat in oven until melted.  Remove from oven and swirl around evenly.
  2. Sprinkle the sugar and nuts over the butter. Add sliced bananas to cover. Sprinkle with cinnamon. Set aside.
  3. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, add honey, yogurt or coconut milk, vanilla and apple cider vinegar, whisk well. Add mashed banana and whisk until combined.
  4. In another bowl combine the dry ingredients and sift or whisk to remove lumps. Add the wet to the dry and stir until incorporated.
  5. Spoon over the fruit layer and spread out.
  6. Bake for apx 25-30 minutes or until brown and set. Cool a little, slice and flip on plates.Serve with baked bacon and fried eggs.  Top with organic real maple syrup. Or for desert rewarm for a few minutes and serve with frozen yogurt. 

Comments

  1. That looks so interesting and I love the crunchy and the chewy layers! Bookmarking this recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting Sandhya! I hope you will try it and let me know what you think. Have a great day.

      Delete
  2. The first time I've read this post, I was really amazed and I mimic it right away. I so love the taste, thanks for all the post Miss Ali.. I enjoyed all the reads, I learned a lot too and I definitely come back.
    Regards
    Glyn
    cakes bakery in Brooklyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aiglyn! I'm so glad you liked it. Hope to chat with you again soon.

      Delete
  3. All I can say is MMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmm!
    Save me some? :)
    ~jules

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hi! Thanks for stopping by!
Thank you so much for your comments and questions. I respond as fast as I can, so please be sure to check back for your answer. By leaving a comment you are consenting to your email being collected for communication purposes only. Blessings, Ali