Featured Post

Brilliant Gluten Free Coconut Macaroons, GF, Sugarfree option

I love the sweet chewiness of a coconut macaroon but the sugar content in the commercial products was always too much for my tastes. Until I made these...They are divine and healthy! And guess what? they are super easy to make gluten free!

Pomegranate & Romaine Salad, with skirt steak, red onion and cucumber, gluten free


Oh, the joys of Fall! Cooler weather, and that's huge for us in Florida, squash and pomegranates to cook with, and looking forward to the holidays with friends and family. Here's one of my favorite #holiday salads...

skinnygfchef.com
Pomegranates were never my favorite fruit as a child. I remember my mom used to buy one for my sister and she loved to eat the seeds. I always thought they were too much trouble!  I preferred blackberries. Growing up in my beloved Seattle they were everywhere. I have wonderful memories of purple fingers.  

Then, many years later, I discovered the sweetness and crunch of pomegranate seeds on salads....and learned how to knock the seeds out easily!  Now I'm hooked. 

I put them on everything from salads to my homemade Greek yogurt. I love them sprinkled on mashed roasted butternut squash or blended into a smoothie. Naturally gluten free and filled with antioxidants and vitamin C, they are worth the trouble of getting them out of the skin!

I've also melted dark chocolate and stirred them in, cool the mounds on parchment in the fridge and you have a gorgeous treat. 

I'm sure you've seen the method of removing the pomegranate seeds from their membrane, but just in case, here's what you do. By the way, did you know they aren't seeds? They are called arils, edible juice sacs that contain the seeds. Cool, huh? 

Cut the pomegranate in half, give the half a bit of a stretch to loosen, and hold over a large bowl.  With a large heavy wooden spoon, really whack the uncut side and the seeds will pop out!

This salad is wonderful with a balsamic vinaigrette or raspberry poppy seed dressing. I buy mine from Aldi. I also like adding fresh spinach and using leftover turkey for the holidays. How do you like to use pomegranate seeds? 

Servings:  4

Ingredients:

  • 2 pounds skirt steak or chicken breasts, marinated in your favorite marinade, I like red wine vinegar, olive oil, herbs (rosemary, thyme) and garlic. 
  • 1 head of romaine lettuce, wash, dry and tear or try a combination of romaine, spinach and arugula
  • 1 cucumber, peeled and diced
  • 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced or diced
  • 1 pomegranate, seeded, discard rind, reserve seeds
  • chopped walnuts, optional

Instructions:

  1. Season and marinate your skirt steak for several hours. It's also very good just grilled with salt and pepper.
  2. Wash, dry and chop greens and veggies. Remove the seeds from the pomegranate. 
  3. Grill the skirt steak over medium high heat for 3-4 minutes and turn, cook for 3-4 minutes on the other side. Do not overcook skirt steak. I should be medium rare or it will get tough.
  4. Let rest for 5 minutes and then slice thinly across the grain.
  5. Pile onto salads, top with pomegranate seeds and gluten free salad dressing of choice.
Simple balsamic salad dressing :

3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/2 cup olive oil
salt and pepper

Comments

  1. This looks good. I usually buy my pomegranate seeds at Trader Joe's...so much easier. But if you have the time to do it yourself, it's probably better.

    Kelly
    www.alovelylifeindeed.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucky you! We are an hour from the Traders in Orlando so I don't get there often.

      Delete
  2. I love the play on sweet, spicy, and savory this brings to the table. It just looks wonderful! I may have to give it a try! Pinning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Mandee! Sweet pomegranate with the red onion and I like a tangy raspberry poppy seed dressing. So yummy!

      Delete
  3. It's kind of weird, but I've never tried pomegranate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not weird at all Jeannie! I didn't get into them for years. Now I love them.

      Delete
  4. Your salad inviting and I love pomegranate at this time of the year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, this looks so yummy! I've been obsessed with raw red onion lately!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My mom loves pomegranate. I never imagined it'd go good in salad but this looks really good. I should let her try this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now I'm sooo hungry for this! And I just ate breakfast... I'm going to blame it on being pregnant. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hi! Thanks for stopping by!
Thank you so much for your comments and questions. I respond as fast as I can, so please be sure to check back for your answer. By leaving a comment you are consenting to your email being collected for communication purposes only. Blessings, Ali