Featured Post

Brilliant Gluten Free Coconut Macaroons, GF, Sugarfree option

I love the sweet chewiness of a coconut macaroon but the sugar content in the commercial products was always too much for my tastes. Until I made these...They are divine and healthy! And guess what? they are super easy to make gluten free!

Gluten Free Gingerbread men cookies, or bears!

These cookies were a huge hit last year before I started blogging.  I'm going to make them again this year and I probably won't change a thing.  They bake up beautifully crisp and the dough is easy to roll out.

They taste so good you don't need any frosting, but I'm sure your kids will love decorating them.  I didn't have a gingerbread man cutter so I ended up with the cutest bears.

Also check out my Christmas Spritz Cookies and  Russian Wedding Cakes...it's the most wonderful time of the year for cookies!

Mix your flour in slowly.  I posted my favorite recipe for gluten free flour below but you can use any gluten free All purpose you have on hand
I didn't weigh my flours, but I do pay close attention to dough consistency.  Gluten free dough is always a little wetter, stickier than "gluten" dough.  If you try to make it drier you will end up with a heavy result
 Mix gently until the flour is incorporated and you should have a nice firm but sticky dough.  Not wet or dry

Split, wrap and refrigerate the dough.  This is important and will firm your dough.  Then roll the dough out between parchment or I used my glass cutting board with a little rice flour and it worked just fine
 Beautiful dough!  lol...please forgive the dates on the pics..I was a newbie!
 I kept part of the wrapped dough for 2 weeks in the fridge before baking and it still came out perfect
 Roll out and cut out your shapes.  Don't roll too thin.   It's a good sturdy dough

I was generous with the flour and they came out a bit dusty  :) but who cares, they are super yummy!
Linked to Allergy Free WednesdaysSlightly Indulgent Tuesdays

Gluten Free Gingerbread Men or Bears

Ingredients:

4 cups of gluten free All-Purpose Flour Mix- see recipe below
1/2 cup fine almond meal flour
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
1 tablespoon fresh gluten free ground ginger
2 teaspoons gluten free ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon gluten free allspice
1 teaspoon baking soda
¾ teaspoon salt
1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature or 3/4 cup of coconut oil, melted
1 cup dark brown coconut palm sugar, or sugar free substitute
2/3 cup molasses
1 large egg, or equivalent egg substitute
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract

Instructions:
  1. Combine the flour, almond flour, xanthan gum, ground ginger, ground cinnamon, baking soda, allspice and salt in a large bowl. Whisk them all together to combine.
  2. In the bowl of a stand mixer, mix the butter and sugar together until they are well combined. Then add the molasses, egg, and vanilla. Run the mixer on low speed until everything is combined thoroughly, about 2 minutes.
  3. With the stand mixer running on low, add the dry ingredients slowly a bit at a time, mixing in between until the flour has disappeared entirely into the dough. Continue this until all the dry ingredients have been added. The dough will be a little sticky to the touch. If it's too wet add a 1/4 cup more flour a bit at a time.  If it's too dry add a tablespoon of water at a time until it's slightly sticky and dough forms easily
  4. Refrigerating the dough. Divide the dough into four pieces. Wrap each in plastic wrap and put them in the refrigerator. Chill the discs in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour or up to 3 days.
  5. Preheat the oven to 350°. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or spray with a little cooking oil. 
  6. Put one of the discs of dough between 2 pieces of waxed or parchment paper.  Or sprinkle your board, roller and cutters with sweet rice flour
  7. Roll out the dough, to about 1/4-inch thick.  Cut out the cookies using your favorite gingerbread man cookie cutter. Gather up all the scraps into a ball and roll the dough out. If it gets too warm or sticky you can pop it back in the fridge for a bit. 
  8. Bake the cookies until the centers are just firm to the touch, about 12-15 minutes.
  9. Cool and enjoy!!   These are great unfrosted or use your favorite gluten free frosting to decorate
  10. Store in covered container in the fridge if they last that long  :)  Happy Holidays!!
Flour mix:
  • 1 1/4 C brown rice flour
  • 1 1/4 C white rice flour
  • 1 C  tapioca flour/starch
  • 1 C  sweet rice flour 

Easy Orange Frosting:

  • 1 cup powdered sugar (you can put blonde coconut sugar in your food processor to powder)
  • Finely grated zest of 1 orange
  • 1 to 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
  • 1/2 teaspoon orange liqueur or gluten free pure vanilla or orange extract-opt
In a medium bowl add all of the ingredients and whisk together to combine. If too thick in consistency, add a touch more orange juice or water to thin out.

Makes about 6 dozen cookies.

Comments

  1. Hi there! I searched and searched for the right recipe and these were outstanding! The dough is just perfect and the cookies are so much tastier than any flour/dairy version. I used coconut oil and love the orange frosting. Yum! Thanks for this keeper!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi @Jen S! Sorry, my reply feature wasn't working! so I'm sending my Thanks again for the compliment and for commenting!! I'm so glad you like them!

      Delete
  2. Hi @Jen S! Thanks for the compliment and for commenting!! I'm so glad you like them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your recipe seems to be ausome. Yum - The cookies look amazing. I love the photos as well! I'll have to give them a try I've got everything except the gluten free ground cinnamon Time to shopping. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! I think you will be thrilled with how they come out. I'm pretty sure I ate the whole batch :) Happy baking xx

      Delete
  4. Hi Ali,
    I don't have a stand mixer, just a hand mixer. Do you think it will work with my hand mixer or should I mix by hand?

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mary, I'm sure it will. Just turn your bowl and scrape down the sides to be sure you get it well mixed. Have a nice evening, let me know if you need anything else. xx

      Delete
  5. Just made this-the doughs in the fridge for forty more mins. Great pictures! I loved making it , for 90% of the recipe, especially mixing the last part. My blog , http://www.agrnhouse.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Was just thinking about making my standard gingerbread recipe into a GF version - might just use this one instead! I'm glad you gave your flour blend recipe (I don't like recipes that call for a special purchased mix). (Visiting from Savoring Saturdays)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Abi, it's really good. The cookies come out crisp and a little tender inside. The dough is easy to roll and just a dream to work with. Merry Christmas!

      Delete
  7. Hey Ali! Just stopping by to let you know I'm sharing this recipe as part of a Savoring Saturdays special. :)

    http://raiasrecipes.com/2014/12/gluten-free-holiday-drinks-cookies.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Raia! Shoot me the post link when you have it and I will promote it for you! Merry Christmas!

      Delete
  8. I love the Gingerbread Bears, they are so precious Ali! Is that a cookie stamp or cookie cutter you use to make them? I just love them!
    Julie@ Sweet and Spicy Monkey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Julie! They are cookie cutters. Nice old fashioned metal ones that really cut well. I like the bears so much, I don't think I'll ever buy a gingerbread man cutter :) Thanks for stopping by and Merry Christmas!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hi! Thanks for stopping by!
Thank you so much for your comments and questions. I respond as fast as I can, so please be sure to check back for your answer. By leaving a comment you are consenting to your email being collected for communication purposes only. Blessings, Ali