Featured Post

Brilliant Gluten Free Coconut Macaroons, GF, Sugarfree option

I love the sweet chewiness of a coconut macaroon but the sugar content in the commercial products was always too much for my tastes. Until I made these...They are divine and healthy! And guess what? they are super easy to make gluten free!

Gluten-Free Catfish Cake Recipe



At the local farmer's market this weekend I picked up a variety of greens (collards, mustard, arugula and kai lan, a Chinese cabbage) that I wanted to saute as a side dish and catfish cakes seemed like a perfect accompaniment. U.S. farm raised catfish is only $3/lb where I shop, but I have bought U.S. farm raised catfish nuggets for $2-3/lb when the filets were more expensive. These are baked instead of fried and came out moist on the inside and crunchy on the outside. I served roasted sweet potatoes as a second side dish.


Gluten-Free Catfish Cakes

1 lb catfish, cooked and flaked
1 cup GF Panko breadcrumbs or homemade GF breadcrumbs (I used EnerG Panko bread crumbs)
½ onion, minced
½ bell pepper, minced
½ stalk celery, minced
1 tsp garlic, minced
1 tsp Tony Chachere’s No Salt Creole seasoning
1 egg
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
Dash of Tabasco
Salt and Pepper
Olive oil (if not using parchment paper)

1. Preheat oven to 400. Grease cookie sheet or line with parchment paper.

2. Mix catfish, breadcrumbs, onion, bell pepper, celery, garlic, Creole seasoning, egg, mayonnaise, Tabasco, salt and pepper together in a bowl. Then shape and place on cookie sheet.
3. Bake cakes for 10-15 minutes on each side until golden brown, for a total of 20-30 minutes of cooking time.

Makes 4 large cakes.

Bobby Flay has a recipe for sauteed kale that has become my standard way of preparing all greens. It is absolutely fantastic. Sauteed Kale

For the roasted sweet potatoes, I simply diced them into 1" chunks, spread on a greased cookie sheet, and sprinkled with salt and pepper, then baked at 400 for 45 minutes.

Comments