Featured Post

20 min. Yeast-Free, Gluten-Free Italian Bread & Easy Mezzetta Olive Tapenade

My favorite holiday memories are of having lots of family and friends over for big meals. I love doing the cooking, preparing holiday recipes, the noise and laughter in the house, and of course, eating the food. I've happily adapted most of my old recipes to gluten-free but I had one more challenge. I was missing crusty chewy   Italian bread that I could make into Crostini! I've always loved warm toasted chewy bites of Italian bread at holiday parties. Topped with Tapenade or made into Bruschetta, they are my favorite appetizers, but I hadn't quite found the right gluten-free flour blend to achieve that wonderful chewiness, until now! I'm so excited to share my NEW 20-minute Gluten-free, Yeast-free, Egg-Free, and Xanthan Gum-Free Italian Bread Rolls with you and did I say, they only take 20 minutes? No yeast, no rising and so easy to make. This amazing dough is also perfect patted out thin for flatbread or pizza crust. Scroll down to see my new Pizza crust u

Gluten Free Biscuits & Sausage Gravy, GF, DF, SF, grain free option

Here's my favorite breakfast of all time. Being gluten free doesn't mean you have to give up your old favorite recipes, you just need to adapt them a bit, but wonder if you are wanting to make them low carb and dairy free too?  That's a little more of a challenge, but they turned out great!

Normally I make sausage gravy with milk and our Favorite Low Carb Biscuits, or I in the past I used my Hamburger buns like you see in the picture above when I have them on hand. (of course they're not low carb, but really good too)

This time I tried making the gravy with coconut milk. I had a coupon and decided to try using So Delicious Unsweetened Coconut Milk. It has a nice mild flavor and is fairly thick.  I loved it! The addition of the herbs helps mask any slight coconut flavor too.


Makes 4 servings

Gluten Free Biscuits & Sausage Gravy, GF, DF, SF, grain free option

Ingredients:
  • 1 pound gluten free uncased Country style sausage. I like Aldi's brand
  • 2-4 tablespoons arrowroot starch or non GMO cornstarch  (you can also use tapioca starch)
  • 2 cups milk, like So Delicious Unsweetened Coconut Milk for low carb
  • 1/4 teaspoon fennel seeds, opt
  • 1/4 teaspoon sage, opt
  • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne, opt
  • salt and ground pepper to taste

Instructions:
  1. In a large cast iron fry pan, break up your sausage and saute on medium until browned.   Strain off most of the grease, leaving only a tablespoon or so with the sausage
  2. Reduce the heat a little.  Sprinkle the arrowroot, cornstarch or tapioca starch over the meat and stir while cooking for a minute.
  3. Add the milk a little at a time, scraping up all the browned bits and stirring well until you have a nice thick sauce.  Add the herbs and spices and stir.
  4. Simmer, stirring  for a few minutes more.  I like to be sure the sausage is completely cooked and all the flavors have time to combine.   Add more starch to thicken or milk to thin if needed.
  5. Serve over biscuits

Comments