Featured Post

Brilliant Gluten Free Coconut Macaroons, GF, Sugarfree option

I love the sweet chewiness of a coconut macaroon but the sugar content in the commercial products was always too much for my tastes. Until I made these...They are divine and healthy! And guess what? they are super easy to make gluten free!

Navajo Tacos on Gluten Free Flatbread, GF, DF, xanthan free


My husband and I live in Oklahoma and love Navajo tacos (known locally as Indian tacos), typically fried flat bread topped with refried beans, taco meat, lettuce, tomato and cheese.

One night when I made Ali's gluten-free hamburger buns, my husband commented that the bread would make a good bread for Indian tacos.

Tonight I made them  into a gluten-free baked "fry" bread. They are incredibly tasty and filling and now my husband is wanting to try several other dishes with Ali's gluten-free hamburger bun recipe.

Linked to Miz Helen's Full Plate Thursday

Gluten Free Navajo Tacos /Fry Bread

For the baked "fry" bread without xanthan gum, I followed the directions for Ali's Gluten-Free Hamburger Buns, substituting 1:1 psyllium husk powder for the xanthan gum and didn't let the bread rise.

I simply spread it into flat rounds on a baking sheet and baked at 400 for 15 minutes.

Tacos:

Ingredients:

4 baked "fry" bread rounds
1 lb ground beef
1 onion, diced
1 tablespoon garlic, minced
Taco Seasoning (recipe below)
1/2 cup water
1 - 15 oz can fat free refried beans
1 tomato, diced
shredded lettuce

Taco Seasoning:

1 tablespoon chili powder
1 tablespoon cumin
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tsp oregano
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper

Directions:

1. Prepare baked "fry" bread according to directions on the gluten-free hamburger bun recipe.

2. Brown ground beef. Add onion and garlic and cook until onion is transparent. Add taco seasoning and water. Cook over medium heat until water evaporates.

3. Heat refried beans.

4. Top baked "fry" bread with refried beans, taco meat, lettuce and tomato.

Comments

  1. Hi everyone! Ali here. Diana and I are working to bring you Xanthan Free options like this one for your gluten free bread making. Diana did a great job reworking this recipe! Hope you all enjoy it and recommend on Pinterest and Twitter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you are having a great weekend and thank you so much for sharing this awesome recipe with Full Plate Thursday.
    Hope to see you soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Miz Helen, it's always fun to drop in to see you and all of the wonderful recipes on your site. hugs, Ali

      Delete
  3. Your style is really unique in comparison to
    other folks I have read stuff from. Thanks for posting when you've got the opportunity, Guess I
    will just book mark this web site.

    Also visit my web blog ... book of ra free online

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hi! Thanks for stopping by!
Thank you so much for your comments and questions. I respond as fast as I can, so please be sure to check back for your answer. By leaving a comment you are consenting to your email being collected for communication purposes only. Blessings, Ali